• Create Account

Where should we(me and my friend) begin? From 0 programming knowledge

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Imbalanzed   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

So me and my friend really like playing games and using pcs, and stuff. So we will try to make a game, I really like unity , i think is the best, he is trying to learn java or javascript, and i like c# , so is the best for us. No to the point, is there a book or something that teaches me how to code in C# with non programming knowledge ?? And should i learn oriented to objects to make it easier in unity ??
Also i like using 2d more than 3d, is there a tutorial to use 2d in unity?
And the scripts for X thing can be made on C# and for other thing Z made on JS or Boo?

Sponsor:

#2 dkgames9622   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

game maker by yoyogames. trust me, gml is a pretty easy language, and they even have a drag and drop function making it easier. I believe it's a powerful game making tool especially for beginners. It's not as powerful as, let's say, c+. but it's still pretty good in my opinion.
EDIT:
didn't read the full post, sorry.

Edited by dkgames9622, 17 December 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#3 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2960

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

You learn Unity and C# since you like them and let your friend come in here reading this thread and forum to get information to decide if he wants to join you. The adult thing to do is provide information with some gentle persuasion, but go with your passion no matter what. Do not divide your efforts between his programming projects and your goals. Be of one mind and focus all your work, passion, and fun in one project at a time (as far as game development is concerned).

Family, friends, and school are far more important for a young person like you than game development, but you can organize yourself to enjoy all of them. Posted Image

Clinton

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 17 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#4 darksmaster923   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Start small first, if you really want to learn C# you should try little projects to get familiarized with it first before working on a game. Or you could use something like the previously mentioned gamemaker
Forumhttp://darksmaster923.ipbfree.com/index.php?act=homeJOIN IT!

#5 nesseggman   Members   -  Reputation: 318

1Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I think it's best to start learning programming through making basic stuff like console applications and whatever, because you really learn what programming is all about that way. I think a lot of people will start learning coding by going through "unity tutorials" or whatever, but they're learning stuff that's more like... learning how to drive a car, but you're still not a mechanic (if that makes sense). But what you're wanting to know is how to be the mechanic. You're wanting to learn how the stuff you're doing really works, not just how to operate it at a very high level.

If your friend and yourself are really dedicated to making a game together, you should both work on learning the same language. You could both learn C# and Java, of course, so maybe you could both study your own now, then when you switch (switching programming languages is really easy once you understand programming concepts) you can help each other learn the ins and outs of your own languages.

Also, since switching languages is easy, you might want to start out just learning an "easy" language like Java before C#. To be honest I don't have as much opinion as some people about what language is the best to learn first... people will argue about it though. But don't try to just jump into unity before learning the basics of programming first. Learn about variables, pointers, objects, etc. and you will understand how a program does what it does, and how it communicates with the computer. And then when you start using Unity it will make SO much more sense and you will be able to do a LOT more with it.

And don't worry, it doesn't take long to learn the basics of programming. That's just where I think it's the best to start.

And if you're wanting to make 2D games, you don't need to use Unity. A big part of Unity is it is a 3D game engine. 3D engines are difficult to program on your own, so now it's done for you. 2D games can be easy to make on your own just using a language and a graphics library/API. There are also 2D game engines out there for you to use which would be more helpful than Unity since they are made specifically for 2D games. You can use Unity to make a game with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay, though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS