• Create Account

A Few Words of Encouragement

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

20Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I talked to my CIS professor a few days ago and she gave me a real nugget of wisdom I want to share with all of my fellow beginners here on gamedev. This is a quote from her e-mail she sent me.

"Programming is just like any other skill, if you want to be good at it you have to do it a lot. That being said you have to willing to be really bad it for awhile before you can see the fruits of you labor. Don't feel bad because you haven't made Baulder's Gate in one semester. Build upon small realistic goals. Just do the basics and gain a real understanding of the foundational skills. Work hard and work consistently and you will be great at whatever you want."

So I just want to say to everyone out there to keep trying and stay in good cheer, even when things get hard. Push through your obstacles and you will become the programmer you want to be. Keep working hard, you will be rewarded for it!

Edited by mistervirtue, 17 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 stitchs   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1285

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

This reassures me as I have gotten to a point where I am doing it every night, and am making more efficient coding progress each time. It's nice when you realise that others think the same.

Regards,

Stitchs.

#3 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2080

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I thought it's funny that she references Baldur's Gate.

She must have been a fan.

#4 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

I thought it's funny that she references Baldur's Gate.

She must have been a fan.

Not much of one: am I the only hybrid gaming/spelling geek that winced at "Baulder's"?

Kidding aside, it's good to see that kind of honest advice coming out of school faculty.
Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18019

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Excellent advice, it sounds like you have a good professor. Thanks for sharing this with others! Posted Image

#6 SharkBaitHooHaHa   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I wish I had your professor. My professor is quite apathetic about the subject. He only shows up on campus for his one night class and just reads off powerpoint slides. Mind you these slides were already provided to the students by the book, which was a terrible book in my opinion. Luckily I had been self teaching myself for quite a while and was able to help out my fellow classmates. My friend was joking around how it's kind of like "Dumbledore's Army" from Harry Potter haha,

#7 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4138

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Boulder's Gate! :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#8 rockvignesh25   Members   -  Reputation: 87

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I wish I had your professor. My professor is quite apathetic about the subject. He only shows up on campus for his one night class and just reads off powerpoint slides. Mind you these slides were already provided to the students by the book, which was a terrible book in my opinion. Luckily I had been self teaching myself for quite a while and was able to help out my fellow classmates. My friend was joking around how it's kind of like "Dumbledore's Army" from Harry Potter haha,

all over the world professors are like that... You know my prof. Taught entire C++ in just 2 hours.. Beginners(who took biology in high school) are almost dead... He did the same thing ...just showed some presentation in one night and finished the portion

#9 SnakeMaster   Members   -  Reputation: 188

1Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

I talked to my CIS professor a few days ago and she gave me a real nugget of wisdom I want to share with all of my fellow beginners here on gamedev. This is a quote from her e-mail she sent me.

"Programming is just like any other skill, if you want to be good at it you have to do it a lot. That being said you have to willing to be really bad it for awhile before you can see the fruits of you labor. Don't feel bad because you haven't made Baulder's Gate in one semester. Build upon small realistic goals. Just do the basics and gain a real understanding of the foundational skills. Work hard and work consistently and you will be great at whatever you want."

So I just want to say to everyone out there to keep trying and stay in good cheer, even when things get hard. Push through your obstacles and you will become the programmer you want to be. Keep working hard, you will be rewarded for it!

I must say does are some Wise words.But i do also have some from my Programming Teacher.

"Programming aint Hard its just Complex and Simple. If you think its Hard your doing something wrong."

#10 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1585

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

This needs to be pinned, this is seriously good advice.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#11 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2964

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Somewhat reminds me of the opening passage of The Road Less Travelled -

Life is difficult.
This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths.

It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#12 Adrisim   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Excellent peace of advice. 

Here in Mexico our professors teach us the hard/bad way: ''just practice using libraries or functions you will eventually change in order to make your code portable and cross-platform and, of course, efficient.'' Then, when in the Industry, our code is useless. 

So, your teacher is awesome. 

Mexico's Education System or self-taught culture are lost. Anything we want to improve needs to be done outside our country. There is no realistic chance on making games or doing stuff that raises Mexico's name; at least, on this field. What we do then is as follows: join foreigner groups and forums, buy books, DVD's or related stuff from Amazon, Stan Wiston School, Gnomon School, Animation Mentor, etc. so you can really improve and reach USA or any other country's education and quality level. So, we do it. 

Even though we know there is no chance from an outsider to being hired by a famous studio such as Microsoft Studios, EA Games, Epic Games, etc. we keep trying. Because that's what matters. Who knows, may be one day someone from such studios will come looking for really talented foreigner programmers. 

Anyway. Thanks for the wise words. 

Good luck everyone. 

Edited by Adrisim, 22 December 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#13 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2964

0Likes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Even though we know there is no chance from an outsider to being hired by a famous studio such as Microsoft Studios, EA Games, Epic Games, etc. we keep trying. Because that's what matters. Who knows, may be one day someone from such studios will come looking for really talented foreigner programmers. 

Other countries seem to think that people in the USA don't like them because people from the USA are rude and obnoxious toward them. This is not the case. We are rude and obnoxious toward everyone. MicroSoft, specifically, I know will hire anyone who they feel is the best person for the job. They don't care where you're from as long as you can do what they want. I suspect other companies are the same. There's not strong xenophobia.

That being said, the big studios in the US all started out small - even the more recent ones. They didn't just pop into existence one find day and start crapping out  cash cows. They had an idea for a game and they struggled to find the resources to make it happen. Success led to success and they became giants. The same can happen in Mexico. It's hard but it can happen.

Edited by Khatharr, 23 December 2012 - 01:03 AM.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS