• Create Account

Turret System

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 wildboar   Members   -  Reputation: 281

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I am trying to make a simple turret system without using skeletal animation.

I have 2 meshes, turret base and the turret itself. I am trying to attach a particle emitter to the ends of the turret where the cube is like this:
http://imgur.com/tbely

I just rotate the turret mesh around the y axis and it looks like its aiming for something, but I tried to rotate the cube around the turret using the same rotation matrix and it never aligns properly :(

Is there some different way I should be doing this? do I really need to use bones and animation files for this? there must be a simpler way of handling this.

Sponsor:

#2 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4798

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Here's what I do:

parentMatrix = the transform of the turret's base (the part that does not rotate)
targetPos = world position of the target
turretPos = world position of the turret

direction = Normalize(targetPos - turretPos);

// Optionally constrain the direction to a plane if you only want the turret piece to rotate on a plane.

direction = parentMatrix.InverseTransformDirection(direction); // convert world direction to local direction

// Generate a quaternion from the direction and local up vector. (my solution is Unity-specific using the LookRotation method)
// Interpolate the turret's orientation towards the quaternion. (my solution is Unity-specific using the RotateTowards method)

Edited by Nypyren, 17 December 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS