• Create Account

How to make a fast video player? (draw large images to screen)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tom77   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie in DirectX,

I need to make a video player. I have sequences of image data (bitmaps) which are very large (1920x1080), and need to display them onto the screen at least 60FPS.

What is the most efficient way to do this so I won't get loading/displaying delays?

PS: (I'm assuming using DirectX will be a good idea?)

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

Edited by Tom77, 17 December 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 1029

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

this project is couple of years old but maybe it will help you.

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2645

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

It would probably have these parts:
1)Loading soon to be used image data from disk to RAM
*Compression? (will add CPU load, but possibly load faster from disk)

2)Sending it to the GPU
*Compression? (faster uploading, more GPU load to decompress, all compression may happen on GPU instead of CPU!)

3)Drawing
*Copy the image somehow, upload directly to a framebufferthingie? I dont know. Copying might be necessary if you compress unless there is some hardware decompression thing.

If possible, i would keep the images in a compressed form on disc and decompress on GPU.
If images cant be compressed on disc, either compress them on CPU and decompress on GPU if needed or just pass them as-is.

It would probably be best to let the program decide where and if to decompress (and compress if disc contains noncompressed data) depending on how fast the GPU, CPU and uploading is.

o3o

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS