• Create Account

Emulating Render to Texture

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 kamilzubair   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Let's say I run this simple render to texture code:

[source lang="cpp"]m_Device->SetStreamSource( 0, m_Rect, 0, sizeof(Rect) );m_Device->SetPixelShader(NULL);m_Device->SetVertexShader( NULL );m_Device->SetFVF( Rect::FVF );DXSurface BackBuffer, Surface;m_RenderTarget->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &Surface);m_Device->GetBackBuffer(0, 0, D3DBACKBUFFER_TYPE_MONO, &BackBuffer);m_Device->SetRenderTarget(0, Surface);m_Device->Clear( 0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,0,255), 1.0f, 0 );m_Device->SetTexture( 0, m_Texture );m_Device->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &m_InWorld );m_Device->DrawPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLEFAN, 0, 2);m_Device->SetRenderTarget(0, BackBuffer);m_Device->SetTexture( 0, m_RenderTarget );m_Device->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &m_OutWorld );[/source]

Now, what should I do if I want to produce the same result but without render to texture stuff ? I try to write HLSL like this :
[source lang="cpp"]m_Device->SetVertexDeclaration( m_VertexDeclaration );m_Device->SetVertexShader( m_VertexShader );m_Device->SetPixelShader(m_PixelShader);m_Device->SetTexture( 0, m_Texture1 );[/source]
with
Vertex Shader:
[source lang="plain"]struct VS_OUTPUT{float4 Pos : POSITION;float2 Tex : TEXCOORD0;};float4x4 InWorld;float4x4 OutWorld;float4x4 ViewProj;VS_OUTPUT main(float3 inPos : POSITION, float2 tex : TEXCOORD0){VS_OUTPUT Out = (VS_OUTPUT)0;Out.Pos = float4(inPos, 1);Out.Pos = mul( Out.Pos, InWorld );//reflect vertices to XY planefloat f = 2/(2 + Out.Pos.z);Out.Pos.x = Out.Pos.x * f;Out.Pos.y = Out.Pos.y * f;Out.Pos.z = 0;Out.Pos = mul( Out.Pos, OutWorld );Out.Pos = mul( Out.Pos, ProjView );Out.Tex = tex;return Out;}[/source]

PixelShader:
[source lang="plain"]struct PS_INPUT{float4 Pos : POSITION;float2 Tex : TEXCOORD0;};sampler2D Tex0;float4 main(PS_INPUT In):COLOR0{float4 Color = tex2D(Tex0, In.Tex);return Color;}[/source]
The result is like this:
Render to texture:
Posted Image

HLSL:
Posted Image

Anyway, it shows in the pictures that the shape is identical but the result of texture sampling is not. I think the perspective correct texture mapping is disturbed by my reflecting inner coordinate to XY plane.
Any idea how to correct this ?

Sponsor:

#2 theagentd   Members   -  Reputation: 427

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I don't know enough about the math behind this to give a definite answer, but take a look at this: http://www.xyzw.us/~cass/qcoord/

#3 kamilzubair   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

It seems in DirectX 9 you can't customize the way it does texturing. There is interpolation modifier to turn off perspective texturing but only for shader model 4 :(.

#4 ginkgo   Members   -  Reputation: 294

1Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

You can do perspective correction yourself by interpolating iz=1/z and iuv=uv/z as varyings and reconstructing uv in the fragment shader as iuv/iz.

#5 kamilzubair   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

What is the value of iz if z = 0 ?

#6 ginkgo   Members   -  Reputation: 294

1Likes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

If z = 0, then you have a problem with your perspective. A vertex is located on the eye-plane.

This division by zero problem can't happen in regular graphics pipelines because the depth-division happens after near-clipping.

I guess my first attempt for avoiding this problem would simply be adding a very small bias value to z if it's 0.

#7 kamilzubair   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Wait, is z means the content of z buffer ? I thought by z you mean the z coordinate of the vertex. I got confused, because vertex with z coordinate 0 is a valid vertex.

#8 ginkgo   Members   -  Reputation: 294

0Likes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

Z is the z coordinate of the vertex.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS