• Create Account

Your kids is so fat......

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#21 Erik Rufelt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3072

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Interestingly it might have happened for real before: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=TS18691231.2.12

Not hard to believe, considering:

Sponsor:

#22 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1946

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Is there a definitive explanation of how it was faked by the people who made it? Like I said before, I can imagine that the part where the kid is actually in the air is faked either with a prop or maybe even with some post processing, but I'd have a hard time believing that the eagle wasn't really there grabbing at something.

If it is all composited by computer I'd be extremely impressed.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#23 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18937

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Is there a definitive explanation of how it was faked by the people who made it? Like I said before, I can imagine that the part where the kid is actually in the air is faked either with a prop or maybe even with some post processing, but I'd have a hard time believing that the eagle wasn't really there grabbing at something.

Yes, there was one link provided in the "case closed" post.

It was done as an academic project. I don't believe the students at at the art school ever purported it to be real. It was tweeted and retweeted and spread virally (including here), but I don't think anyone involved claimed it to be true.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#24 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1946

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Yes, there was one link provided in the "case closed" post.

It was done as an academic project. I don't believe the students at at the art school ever purported it to be real. It was tweeted and retweeted and spread virally (including here), but I don't think anyone involved claimed it to be true.

So the link works for you? Because it's broken for me.

#25 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1946

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Although now that I look at it it does make sense that both the kid and eagle are totally fake because it would make the overlapping shadows easier. It's still incredibly accurate though.

#26 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27814

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

So the link works for you? Because it's broken for me.

Yes. The important bit:

A Montreal animation school has fessed up that the "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid" on YouTube is a fake, created by three students in its three-year animation and digital design degree program.
"Both the eagle and the kid were created in 3D animation and integrated in to the film afterwards," the school, Centre NAD, said in a statement Wednesday.

#27 Gavin Williams   Members   -  Reputation: 642

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I totally believed it at first, but when brx posted the 'fake expose' video, I figured it was fake, the movement of the child after the eagle loses hold is wrong, as noted in that video. The trajectory is odd, and there is no apparent weight to the child or parts of the child, it acts as a rigid body, it doesn't slump or sag or twist as though the eagle let go with one claw and then the other. It moves at an upward angle too far before it's trajectory turns down. I'm sure it could be picked to pieces with further analysis.

#28 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yes. The important bit:

A Montreal animation school has fessed up that the "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid" on YouTube is a fake, created by three students in its three-year animation and digital design degree program.
"Both the eagle and the kid were created in 3D animation and integrated in to the film afterwards," the school, Centre NAD, said in a statement Wednesday.

So all the golden eagles I shot today... oh god. D:

#29 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3215

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

i still think it looks real...
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#30 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2662

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

I love how some people are STILL arguing that it actually is real, in the comments to the "case closed" article :)

#31 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8177

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

All the above said, it should be noted some eagles can carry an average-weight toddler like this one, and even if they can't, they certainly have enough momentum to carry them up to lethal heights. So while this is a decent fake, it is still something to watch out for.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#32 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2662

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Maybe I should have been clearer. I didn't mean any comment here, arguing that it might happen.
All comments here are perfectly reasonable.
There was at least one poster in the comments section of the news article who seemed to still believe the youtube clip is real.

Edited by Olof Hedman, 20 December 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#33 Kickpuncher   Members   -  Reputation: 361

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

I hadn't seen this one before but I guess this is a video they "made" last year.

Penguin Escapes Zoo in Montreal

They've definitely improved their skills with the big jerk bird video.

#34 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1946

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I hadn't seen this one before but I guess this is a video they "made" last year.

Penguin Escapes Zoo in Montreal

They've definitely improved their skills with the big jerk bird video.

That one's more obviously fake and the animation is infinitely less organic, but honestly it's still very good at least for the first 13 seconds; seeing the texture up close and in direct sunlight pretty much kills it though.

Edited by cowsarenotevil, 23 December 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#35 jdturner11   Members   -  Reputation: 186

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think this is a lesson in never using youtube as a source of reliable information.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS