• Create Account

help calculating this

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 john_lin   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

hi to all,
I attached a img with this post . Please consider the marked lines as a grid in a orthgonal projection . I want to select a tile in this grid by clicking mouse over them . i want to know what kind of a formula used to solve this kind of problem . please help me to solve this issue;Thanks in advance

john lin

Attached Thumbnails

• img.jpg

Sponsor:

#2 0r0d   Members   -  Reputation: 819

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

hi to all,
I attached a img with this post . Please consider the marked lines as a grid in a orthgonal projection . I want to select a tile in this grid by clicking mouse over them . i want to know what kind of a formula used to solve this kind of problem . please help me to solve this issue;Thanks in advance

john lin

In general steps:

1. Multiply your world-to-view (w2v) and view-to-projection (v2p) matrices to give you a world-to-projection matrix (w2p).
2. Calculate the inverse of this to give you a projection-to-world matrix (p2w)
3. Transform the projection-space position (where you clicked on screen in projection space coordinates) to a world position
4. Transform the projection-space direction (depending on your coordinate system... something like (0, 0, 1)) to a world direction
5. Do intersection tests from the world-space point and directions to the rectangles in the grid

#3 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1966

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

This is not a trivial problem to solve, I'd suggest you take a look at OpenCV.

#4 max343   Members   -  Reputation: 340

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Like Mussi said, it's not a trivial problem.

I'm no big expert in vision, but my first try would be to use the Canny edge detector (or some scale space variant) to create a grid image. Then partition the regions image by building a trapezoidal map. After that's done you can answer point location queries efficiently.
Though even this simple scheme will require a lot of tweaking to work correctly.

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8823

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

To me it's not obvious the OP wants image pattern recognition, for all I can tell he might've used this to describe an abstract 2D grid viewed from an angle in 3D space, in which case the problem can be easily solved - raytrace against the grid plane, and convert the (x, y) intersection point (on the plane) to a (u, v) tile coordinate.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#6 john_lin   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

how the peoples used to calculate the input(mouse click) to select tiles in farm vile like games . I really need that farm vile like solution please help me guys . thank you

Edited by john_lin, 20 December 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#7 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13308

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

FarmVille uses isometric projection, so the formulas are a bit simpler. If you wan to select which tile has been clicked on in an image with perspective projection, it's not all that hard either. The easy way to do it is to compute ray-plane intersection (the ray being from the camera to the pixel where the click happened, the plane being the floor). One could also construct a projectivity (3x3 matrix) which maps screen coordinates to floor coordinates, but that's a little bit more involved.

#8 john_lin   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

@ALvaro Thank you for your reply

Can you please give pseudocode both scenario or any easily understandable link ? thanks in advance

#9 DT....   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

One way to go is:

1) Use "gluUnProject" to get a ray from the camera,

2) Use "ray to Plane"  to get an intersection point,

3) Map/Hash the intersection point to your 2D grid.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS