• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Deferred Rendering + Light Volumes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 466

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

i am currently working on adding in support for Direct3D 10. Currently i have a Deferred Lighting setup for D3D 11 using compute shaders. As i am also supporting OpenGL and OpenGL ES, i want to add in light volume rendering for lower end support.

I can render out the scene using fullscreen quads, and everything works and looks the same as the Forward and Deferred Tiled lit scenes. I am trying to use spheres to represent the point lights, but i am running into a problem now. My problem is not unique, as i have found numerous articles, and links around the net dealing with them. However, the solutions that they suggest, are not yielding results, ugh.

in the attached screen shot below you can see an artifact, that using PIX i have determined that the polygon is not being culled properly. Now i have tried to use all culling modes, back, front, and even none. however, each just renders out a different image. If i disable blending, the sphere outline shows up correctly, so i know the shape is correct. if i render the shape out with forward lighting, the shape is correct. I am using 3 render targets, Albedo, Normal, and Depth. I recreate the depth in the pixel shader. I am hoping someone can help me out with some suggestions to look, or even help in debugging to get me on my way. Thanks in advance

Posted Image
Code makes the man

Sponsor:

#2 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 466

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

oh and i am using View space for my lighting path, the scene is a simple plane, 1 point light, and the camera is 20 units above, looking straight down.
Code makes the man

#3 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I don't have deffered shading experience but I know what is it..

but I think this is not problem of defferd shading stuff..

culling is just done by d3d , not shader at all..

you must slowly check you code again

and I sujest use other 3D data..

more complex one ..

or It could be broken 3D data or shader.

but hard to say by just what you show to me

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

#4 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 466

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

i decided to try a second sphere model, and now it is rendering without a hitch... i have a different problem, but at least the culling issue has dissapeared.
Code makes the man

#5 Adam_42   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2619

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Edit: posted too late

Edited by Adam_42, 19 December 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#6 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

i decided to try a second sphere model, and now it is rendering without a hitch... i have a different problem, but at least the culling issue has dissapeared.

Yea I think there is bug code or structure.. your loader may have some problem..

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS