In my current project I want to implement clothes and armor that can fit to different body sizes and shapes. I have an rough idea of how i might achive it but I want to know what the best way is incase im way off.
Lets take chest armor as an example.
- Im asuming il need to define a set of points on all character models chest, back and shoulder area and then a matching set of points on all pieces of chest armor.
- When moddeling the chest armor every one of these points could be a bone and the vertices will be weight painted to these bones.
- When moddeling the characters il create extra bones (one for each of these "points") that extend from the existing bones in the character. These bones will likely end on the surface of the characters skin.
- If a character then has a piece of chest armor equiped il connect the bones of the chest armor to the special armor connecting bones of the character.
- Il then transform the bones in the chest armor by the difference between them and the ones in the character. Il define a "center" bone on both the charcter model and the chest armor. the armors center point will be placed on the characters "chest armor center point".
- Might make sense to make an simple algorithm that first scales the armor as a whole to the extent where as little as possible transformation needs to take place in the above mentioned point.
Does this sound about right? if not what should I be doing.
Thnx in Advance!