• Create Account

"So I DON'T have an Idea for a game........."

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 953

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hello all,
As the title says I don't have an idea for a game and until the end of the year I will have plenty of spare time, which I would like to spend working on a fun project. So if you have an idea for a game (your own, remake of old game, etc) please share with me. The requirements are as follows: only 2D, no multiplayer.
Also I forgot to mention, but the project will be open source with no profit at all.

Waiting for fun ideas!Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17937

1Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

You could take a look at Three Hundred Mechanics and see if anything inspires you, or perhaps try one of the Lost Garden prototyping challenges. Posted Image

#3 Dinner   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

You could take a look at Three Hundred Mechanics and see if anything inspires you, or perhaps try one of the Lost Garden prototyping challenges. Posted Image

Thanks for posting that, was considering trying the 12 games in 12 months, and something like that would narrow down the thinking of idea's time.

#4 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 815

2Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

There are two quick methods you can use:

1. Look at some 2D art online, and get inspired to do something with it (you'll have to uh... steal it, of course). This is good for when you've just learned something new and you wanna try it, but have no specific ideas.

2. Put yourself in a box. Right now I'm interested in making games in which you can only use the mouse. This puts a limit on things, and challenges me to try to make the most out of three buttons and two axes of movement (well, two buttons and three axes to be correct). I guess it's like, when you work with no limits, the question "What should I make?" is open-ended but when you work with limits, it's multiple choice. Something like that.

#5 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

There is also an idea generator called Gamescomposer.
Give it a try :)
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#6 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 953

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

thank you for the suggestions, i will try to choose something and will let you know :)

#7 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

How about a Tower Defense game? The challenge would be to add some elements that are not found in similar games.

♥♥♥ Legen... wait for it... dary Game Art for your every needs! ♥♥♥

#8 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9450

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Believe it or not, this also is a frequently asked question. I'm moving it to Game Design, as usual.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#9 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 953

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

How about a Tower Defense game? The challenge would be to add some elements that are not found in similar games.

elements like what ?

#10 Inukai   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I found this video game generator today: http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen

Just uncheck the Sanity checkbox and you will get dozens of awesome and really funny ideas.

#11 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3468

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

That game generator is great:

"A puzzle game where you wage war on hell because aliens."
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#12 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4813

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

That game generator is great:

"A puzzle game where you wage war on hell because aliens."

Haha that almost describes Disgaea.

On the simple end of the spectrum, I know several people who are always looking for new mini games to add to their social gaming websites.  Mostly that kind of thing is clones of tetris, frozen bubble, bejeweled, solitaire (with cards, mahjongg tiles, or pegs/marbles), snake game, asteroids, galaga, missile command, pinball, hangman, shooting gallery (this is based on an amusement park thing not a famous old game).  So if you want people to reuse your code, code for these is in consistent demand.

Me, I've got ideas I'd give away but they're all bigger and more complicated.  The simpler end of my spectrum would be farming sims and animal breeding sims, tactical combat RPGs, adventure games, and dating sims.

Edited by sunandshadow, 21 December 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#13 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

elements like what ?

Well, if I knew that, I would make a TD myself since I love these types of games. I suggest playing couple of games here http://turretdefensegames.com and see what you like and how you could improve it. Makes for an interesting study in my opinion. Squidi's Three Hundred Mechanics has also some very interesting ideas. As for that game generator, I didn't find it that great, and I tried dozens of combinations.

#14 jdturner11   Members   -  Reputation: 186

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Go on GOG.com, purchase Master of Magic, Alpha Centaurai, Master of Orion 1 + 2 - play the heck out of them. They're on sale right now, so buy them, get inspiration and see how great a 2D game can be!

#15 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 953

0Likes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Go on GOG.com, purchase Master of Magic, Alpha Centaurai, Master of Orion 1 + 2 - play the heck out of them. They're on sale right now, so buy them, get inspiration and see how great a 2D game can be!

I spent my childhood playing those games, man. I even still play MOO2 from time to time. So, yeah, I know how great 2d games can be :)

And btw, I decided to go with Art Whiz suggestion for a tower defense game. Every few days I will try to post here my progress.

In advance, Merry XMAS :)

#16 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4813

1Likes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

If you want a tower defense example, I recommend Plants vs. Zombies if you haven't played it yet. smile.png  (I mean the singleplayer version, I think they came out with a facebook version recently but I haven't tried that.)

Edited by sunandshadow, 23 December 2012 - 04:11 AM.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#17 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

0Likes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I spent my childhood playing those games, man. I even still play MOO2 from time to time. So, yeah, I know how great 2d games can be smile.png

And btw, I decided to go with Art Whiz suggestion for a tower defense game. Every few days I will try to post here my progress.

In advance, Merry XMAS smile.png

MOO2 is also one of my favorite games which I enjoy getting into from time to time. Along with Diablo 2 and Fallout 2; awesome games. Glad to hear you're going for the tower defense. Feel free to use the TD graphics from my website, should you want to get a quick start. You'll end up with something like this:

upgrade-tower-defense.jpg

They're free to use and I'll probably add more assets. Merry Christmas to you too and see you next year! ;)

#18 jdturner11   Members   -  Reputation: 186

0Likes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hey man, this game reference I'm going to list isn't TD, but it should give you some inspiration for possible ragdoll/limb destroying features!

#19 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 953

0Likes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

OK, some update on the topic: i did some work on the tower defense game but far less than i intended.
and i need help for implementing proper and smart unit movement(pathfinding). i read this, and this plus some chapters from a books for AI development, but i couldn't come up with any proper code. so if anyone can help me with pseudo code or something on the topic (especially points of visibility pattern) please help :)

ps: i know this is not the proper section of the forum for asking this, but i do not like to open another unnecessary post

Edited by DpakoH, 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#20 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9450

0Likes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

OK, some update on the topic: i did some work on the tower defense game but far less than i intended.
and i need help for implementing proper and smart unit movement(pathfinding). i read this, and this plus some chapters from a books for AI development, but i couldn't come up with any proper code. so if anyone can help me with pseudo code or something on the topic (especially points of visibility pattern) please help :)

ps: i know this is not the proper section of the forum for asking this, but i do not like to open another unnecessary post

You will need to open another new thread, since you are asking a programming question and this is the Game Design forum. Closed.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS