• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

unrelated programming skills

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Focas   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi there,

I'm a C# programmer and I want to be a game programmer. But I have some doubts about it.

1.how important is to know about concept art, character design, and all these others fields in game development?
2. I'm completely lost in what language i have to learn first...

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20247

2Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

1) If you are a programmer, you don't need to know how to mark art. That's the artist's job. You should know how to make poor quality temporary placeholder art, though. It is important to be able to convey the general idea of what you are looking for - but then to leave the creative work to the artist or musician or whatever without being too micro-managing.

2) You start with the language you know: in this case, C#. It really really does not matter what language you begin with, as long as you stick with it for several good years - plan to stick with it for 3-5 years to really understand programming at a deep level.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 20 December 2012 - 10:47 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Dwight Gijzen   Members   -  Reputation: 206

1Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

All other fields in Game Development includes also the non-game aspects such as, but certainly not limited to, management and scheduling!

The greatest pitfall of all indie-teams is the lack of good "management". Knowing how to manage teams virtually might give you another advantage :)

SnowCloud Entertainment :: www.sc-entertainment.com

Working title: Pirates' Nest

#4 smallGame   Members   -  Reputation: 208

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

You could start looking for a job as a Tool Programmer in the video game industry. That could be a really good start.

#5 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

If your a C# developer carry on using C#. If your only concerned about windows the SharpDX is the tool of choice (directX for .net). Monogame is also excellent for cross platform but is a little higher level (somewhat like XNA just more upto date). OpenTK is another cross platform choice (OpenGL for .net/mono). As for art. That depends on if your going solo or part of a team. If your part of a team then it is easy enough to mock up artwork that will do temporarily until the actual artists have done their thing, even if a car ends up being a simple cube and your lovely brick wall is just a smooth orange surface. If your going solo then yeah, your going to need some good quality assets in order to get a half decent game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS