• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

teach me Primitive Polynomials of Field Theory? Links provided!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Blind Radish   Members   -  Reputation: 355

1Likes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thank you for trying to help me!

Okay, so I need to understand primitive polynomials, but I haven't got much in the way of math.
Good brain and willing to learn but no school, really.

Please help me understand {this page explaining primitive polynomials}!

Also {this other page of the same}, which seems more basic but is still difficult.

{The easiest one of all}, but again, I don't get it! :'[

The only kind I need to understand is the {kind which is used in LFSRs}, which is called GF(2), right?

I need to be able to generate every primitive polynomial in GF(2) of a given degree.

{This paper discusses what must be the fastest way to test if a polynomial is primitive} - I don't understand what he's saying though.  Probably because I don't understand the definition of a primitive polynomial.

That's all I need to do.  But I also need to understand /why/ it works, or /how/ it works, or anything!

I don't want code, I just want to understand the properties required to make a polynomial "primitive".

The point is that I need to understand it enough to write the code for it.

Sorry if that's confusing.  Simply put, all I need to do is find every primitive polynomial of degree n for GF(2) using one of the algorithms provided, and in order to do that I need to understand what makes a polynomial primitive.

Edited by MyNameIs, 21 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS