• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Fun Background-Noise?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

What do you listen to while you program (If you listen to anything).

I'm currently loving Pandora, Pod-casts, and Ted Talks  I love Pandora because I select a band I like and it will show me all kinds of new songs and bands that I've never heard of. Almost everything it recommends is amazing and I love it.

Pod-Casts are harder to follow whenever I get caught up in programming, however when I can pay attention to them they're great. I'm enjoying "This Developers Life" as of now, however I also am trying to listen to other Pod-casts.

Ted-Talks I'll put in a window next to Aptana Studio and listen too while I program with HTML/CSS because it's impossible to follow when I'm caught up in C++.

What do you listen too, or watch? I'm curioius :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3943

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

generally pandora for me, however i haven't had a decent pair of headphones for awhile(the ipod ones i have hurt my ears after 10-20 minutes), and i don't know why, but i can't enjoy music if it's coming from my computer speakers.

Edited by slicer4ever, 22 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9044

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I either listen to vocal trance (I like the digitally imported webradio) or to some TV shows I downloaded the day before - or just rerun old ones, bandwidth permitting. Though I haven't programmed in a while, since I'd like to enjoy the holidays for once smile.png

Sometimes just silence, though that usually only happens when I am really busy and forget to turn the music on!

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#4 Adrisim   Members   -  Reputation: 109

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I usually go for Yann Tiersen, Edith Piaf, Björk, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, or anything Jazz-ish on my playlist. Obviously on a decent low volume so I can concentrate.  The Tiger Lillies or Sinéad O'Connor are good choices too. Metallica, Metal Lucifer, Massive Attack or Testament work as well. It really depends on the coding. There's just a time when I neither pay attention to what I'm doing nor what I'm listening. 

#5 Magdev   Members   -  Reputation: 197

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Mostly videogame music, particularly the Nier OST, the Cave Story OST, the Shadow of the Colossus OST, the Chrono Trigger OST, OCRemix stuff, and stuff from composers that I like such as Goniochromism, sevenee, Flashygoodness, and Disasterpeace.

I also like having the Mega64 podcast on my second monitor but sometimes it distracts me a lot. Totally worth it though.

#6 mikeishere   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Mostly videogame music, particularly the Nier OST, the Cave Story OST, the Shadow of the Colossus OST, the Chrono Trigger OST, OCRemix stuff, and stuff from composers that I like such as Goniochromism, sevenee, Flashygoodness, and Disasterpeace.

I also like having the Mega64 podcast on my second monitor but sometimes it distracts me a lot. Totally worth it though.

I also love listenign to video game music when i program but not always
morrowind/halo2 soundtracks are my favorites smile.png

otherwise i listen to nothing or some white noise if other people are around

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20247

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I listen to video game music (OC Remixes of Zelda, Star Fox, Final Fantasy), worship music (Misty Edwards or others), or just violin/salsa/guitar.

Sometimes I listen to the music a composer made for my own game, to get me in an inspirational mood.

In most situations, the music is background noise that could be a single 30 second clip on repeat for three hours before I realize it. laugh.png

generally pandora for me, however i haven't had a decent pair of headphones for awhile(the ipod ones i have hurt my ears after 10-20 minutes), and i don't know why, but i can't enjoy music if it's coming from my computer speakers.

I don't have quite the ear others have for music, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I like JVC Gummy-brand headphones. Relatively inexpensive ($8.50~), and they last longer then the cheap $0.99 headphones, and they don't hurt my ears like some others do. They last me about 3-5 months each, and this is with wear and tear of multiple people grabbing them off one computer to use for another, and their being in nigh-continuous use every day - so you may get longer lifetimes out of yours. I buy 2-3 at a time, and at $8.50 or so and lasting three months apiece, that's about $3 a month for headphones that actually work (as opposed to having to buy multiple sets of $0.99 or higher headphones that are broken out of the box).

But, as mentioned already, I don't have the ear to really discern the difference in audio quality that others might require.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3943

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I listen to video game music (OC Remixes of Zelda, Star Fox, Final Fantasy), worship music (Misty Edwards or others), or just violin/salsa/guitar.

Sometimes I listen to the music a composer made for my own game, to get me in an inspirational mood.

In most situations, the music is background noise that could be a single 30 second clip on repeat for three hours before I realize it. laugh.png

I don't have quite the ear others have for music, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I like JVC Gummy-brand headphones. Relatively inexpensive ($8.50~), and they last longer then the cheap $0.99 headphones, and they don't hurt my ears like some others do. They last me about 3-5 months each, and this is with wear and tear of multiple people grabbing them off one computer to use for another, and their being in nigh-continuous use every day - so you may get longer lifetimes out of yours. I buy 2-3 at a time, and at $8.50 or so and lasting three months apiece, that's about $3 a month for headphones that actually work (as opposed to having to buy multiple sets of $0.99 or higher headphones that are broken out of the box).

But, as mentioned already, I don't have the ear to really discern the difference in audio quality that others might require.

o, i don't really have an ear for music like that either, any sort of headphones work for me(except the shit ipod ones, again hurt my ears), and it's not that i haven't had headphones, it's just i have 5 dogs, and every now and then, they tear up my headphones because the table i left them on is low enough for them to grab(don't think they are untrained, it's rare when it happens, but it does sometimes happen, and is why i don't have headphones atm.)

it's not that i can't enjoy music from speakers, just for some odd reason i can't really get into programming if it's coming through speakers.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#9 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3073

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Sometimes, when I've had enough coffe, metal and punk rock. biggrin.png  Otherwise, mostly Liquid/Ambient Drum and bass and other rather chilled out stuff.

Netsky, LM1, DJ Shadow, Xilent, Air, Doves, Solar fields, ...

#10 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Pandora. When I want to be really productive, I listen to my Deadmau5 channel (it's not my favoritist music in the world, but it does a great job at creating a droning ambience that stops my brain from thinking about tangential things). I mostly listen to my Imagine Dragons, Hans Zimmer, I Will Follow You Into the Dark, or Breaking Benjamin stations, though. Or I put it on shuffle to mix in my other ~25 stations for a healthy mix of music.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#11 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 819

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

When I want to be really productive, I listen to my Deadmau5 channel (it's not my favoritist music in the world, but it does a great job at creating a droning ambience that stops my brain from thinking about tangential things).

Actually I was shocked to find this was true. I'm not a dubstep guy (not really much of a music guy in general), but anytime I listen to dubstep while programming, my productivity, focus, (hopefully) code quality, and enjoyment all take a significant jump. Half the time I just go to one of those channels with the 2 hour long compilations of random stuff and just let it play. I have no idea what I'm hearing, but it keeps me from saying "Hey, I wonder if Kevin got my e-mail yet. Might as well check real quick."

#12 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7394

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Going Quantum podcast tends to be my music of choice for coding. Also, if you like music do yourself a favour and get some decent over ear open backed headphones with a wide frequency response and low distortion. Closed back aren't bad either, but open do sound better. Start of the year I spent about £150 on some sennheiser headphones and it was the best investment I've made audio wise.

#13 ShadowValence   Members   -  Reputation: 380

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Depends on the project & time committed to solely programming. I'll play some YouTube chillstep mixes or my hans zimmer Pandora channel if I've got a lot of time. Otherwise, i keep it fairly quiet.

#14 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 819

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I find it extremely interesting that other people actually find dubstep/chillstep good for productivity. I honestly rarely listen to any music. But man, dubstep really works wonders. I even listen to it when I'm doing math homework or something.

#15 Paul Franzen   Members   -  Reputation: 334

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Laugh if you will, but as a fan of pro-wrestling I've found that to be great background material--nobody's saying anything that you need to fully focus on, and if you look up every now and again you're bound to see somebody doing a cool backflip and then kicking someone else in the head.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS