How would a computer without SDL/Visual Studio run a game made with SDL?

Started by
4 comments, last by johnmarinelli 11 years, 4 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm making a very simple game with VS2010 and SDL. Now, if I wanted to send the file to friends/family without SDL & VS2010, would it be very difficult? Would they have to have VS2010 on their computer and I include the SDL binaries in the folder?

This is probably a very simple question, but I never really understood how it works.

Advertisement

Hi,

Each PC with Windows in recent years comes with .NET Framework either shipped with the system or upgraded and updated when the OS is upgraded and updated. Even if they have an older .NET Framework version, your game should run just fine in their computers. We are currently making games in the latest .NET Framework 4.5 or even 5.0, but everything runs and can be developed for 4.0 and run just fine in the future versions. Microsoft does a fine job of making .NET implemented programs be backwards and forwards compatible.

There are ways of making the .NET implemented programs work in Macs and so forth, but I don't use them so you would have to research and ask about them.

Take a look at Mono, which might work for you in the future to have more platform flexibility in targeting systems.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

It is very simple.

Just provide the sdl.dll and msvcr10.dll (c runtime) libraries with your application .exe and it should run just fine.

No need to convolute the process or subject your poor users to .NET hell by forcing them to install / update core system libraries.

If you are targeting linux, just build your software using gcc, and it should run on almost all linux installs (since sdl is often in the base install)
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

If it's developed with Visual Studio, Compile it within release mode and send them your "Release" folder. You should also include your Visual Studio library installer (Extremely simple, it is a .exe that you can get from Microsoft's website that will automatically install everything you need.) As long as you include the SDL files in the "Release" folder those should work fine also. I recommend a "Readme.txt" or something of the like (Maybe "tutorial.txt" or "install.txt") that explains to them everything they must do so your game will work. I hope this works out, Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

I would try to find a setting in VS that makes your executable backwards compatible with older versions of windows - to eliminate the need for end-users to download and install any external stuff (regardless of what version of windows they are on).. I'm not sure if there is such a thing, but I think it would be pretty ignorant on Microsoft's part to not include an option for developers to make their programs compatible with a larger number of end-users' machines. Then again, Microsoft does want to eradicate all legacy support and increase its stranglehold on EVERYTHING, from what I can tell.

Personally, I use MinGW Developer Studio, which is a discontinued IDE for the MinGW compiler. It simplifies everything and allows me to produce native win32 exe's that run on any version of windows from 95 to 8 (depending on what features I implement). It's like a less-buggy version of DevC++, that includes code folding (yay).

As for the SDL situation, you will always be required to package the SDL dlls with your program, that's just the nature of SDL, and for some, a motivating factor to develop native win32 apps (I settle for distributing the DLLs with my programs).

Hi everyone,

I don't plan on making this program mac-compatible, as I know that would add more to the process.

I'm planning on sharing it with a few people and they have Windows XP and above; taking in what you guys have said, I imagine that this will be simpler than I thought.

Thanks for the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement