• Create Account

Web game design - high level questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crunchtime   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have a game idea and a couple years of programming eduction that I want to put to use. I have a good grasp on the game mechanics I want to use and a good grasp on the layout and functionality I want. It will be loosely based on Urban Rivals in that it will be a web based Trading Card Game (TCG) using HTML/CSS and some form of Flash/Shockwave for the main game engine.

I have knowlege of HTML/CSS and some bare bones JavaScript. Flash/Shockwave is comepletely new to me and I will need to learn it.

My questions are this:

1. One of the big questions I face is whether I should nail down the game logic and mechanics and try to make the JS replicate it, or if I should be designing the frame and adjust the mechanics to Flash's capabilities. I guess the real question, in automotive terms, is do you design the enginer first and make the frame fit the engine, or make the frame and design the engine to fit the frame?

2. I'm considering alternatives to Flash/Shockwave. Will HTML5 be replacing Flash for simple 2d game design? In your opinion will Flash be antiquated?

3. I've been hearing good things about Dart as well. Is it a viable replacement or will Flash still be needed?

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Firestryke31   Members   -  Reputation: 350

0Likes

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think HTML5+JS should be plenty fine for replacing most Flash games. You get audio, the ability to draw to a portion of the screen, and user input, and that's all you really need. I'm in the process of creating my own HTML5+JS game as a learning project, and I managed to get stuff on the screen pretty darn quickly. If you're already at least somewhat used to working in JS, you'd probably be better off using it initially, at very least for prototyping. Plus it's completely free, available on most modern mobile devices, and some think not being tied to Adobe is a plus.

#3 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1976

0Likes

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I think HTML5+JS should be plenty fine for replacing most Flash games. You get audio, the ability to draw to a portion of the screen, and user input, and that's all you really need. I'm in the process of creating my own HTML5+JS game as a learning project, and I managed to get stuff on the screen pretty darn quickly. If you're already at least somewhat used to working in JS, you'd probably be better off using it initially, at very least for prototyping. Plus it's completely free, available on most modern mobile devices, and some think not being tied to Adobe is a plus.

I've been learning HTML(5), CSS, and JavaScript while I'm programming my current game, and I agree that it's pretty easy to get things going. Coming from C++, it seems a little more laid back and fun, which is what I'm aiming for :).

HTML(5) and JavaScript are all you need, however I recommend learning JQuery also, it helps not only with video game programming, you can use it for web-sites to a great extent also.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's Breakout:
Breakout!

Want to ask about Python and / or Pygame? What about HTML5 / CSS3 / JavaScript? What about C++ and / or SFML 2 (and 1.6)? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

Superman3275@Gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS