• Create Account

Laptops?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1988

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

So, I have been at my fathers house for the past few days. He recently got this computer (Which is what I've been posting / programming / Messing around on). I am thinking about getting one for myself, so I have a question: Do you believe this is a good computer?

It's cheap, runs great, Windows 8 has a great boot-up and is extremely smooth. Despite it's (somewhat) low processing speed, it's working great and I believe it will be great for programming on the go.

What do you think? What laptop would you recommend?

I have so many questions posted in this thread, I feel kind of bad. Here's a smile smile.png!

Edited by superman3275, 26 December 2012 - 12:23 AM.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

He recently got this computer [...]

That's a strange looking computer... I don't think it's a good one wink.png

I just bought an upgraded MacBook Pro with Retina Display*, and with its solid state drive, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and quad-core i7, I can officially say it was totally overkill. It's important to get something you like (because you spend a lot of time with it), yes, but programming isn't the most intensive stuff you can do on a computer, so you really don't need a super machine to do that. However, if you plan on doing more than programming, it's worth deciding exactly what it is you plan on doing on your laptop and finding a good one that will let you do everything you plan on doing. This is where I'd link to Tom Sloper's article on decision grids, if I had it handy.

*I had to get a Mac to make iOS apps on, otherwise I would've gotten a Windows or Linux based laptop.

Edited by Cornstalks, 26 December 2012 - 12:05 AM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3528

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

I really want to buy this Lenovo since it's a better version of what I already have and like... and cheaper, too.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#4 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1988

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Sorry, here's the fixed link :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#5 mikeishere   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

I recommend sager if you like to game.

#6 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6779

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

Honestly, cheap 15.6" laptops are like a bad joke perpetrated on us by the computer industry. Slow CPUs, even slower spinning disks, and bottom-of-the-barrel, 1366x768 TN panels with poor contrast and poorer viewing angles, all in a too-bulky package that could be forgiven if it offered any feature at all that would justify the size and weight, but which they never do.

Besides that, Gateway isn't what you'd call a top-tier brand.

If you live near a good-sized city, you can probably find a 2-3 year old Lenovo on Craigslist that you'd be happier with, have same or better performance, nicer features, and better build quality.

Otherwise, unless that's absolutely all you can afford, my own feeling is that anything worth spending a few hundred dollars on to have is worth spending a few hundred more on to have exactly what you want.

#7 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

1.8 Gh .... most modern programs WILL NOT run that good on that, however for a programming computer, it'll work just fine.

I personally do not like Gateways, they end up having quite a few hardware problems right after the warranty expires... maybe you'll have better luck.

Edit: Walmart has similar laptops for $250 +- USD http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=laptop&_refineresult=true&search_constraint=0&ic=16_0&search_sort=4&cat_id=3944_3951

Edited by Shippou, 26 December 2012 - 06:24 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3760

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Buy a netbook. Then you'll start to appreciate how fast everything else is! lol

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#9 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 770

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Any decent brand with at least an i5 is good enough for most tasks.

#10 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I can tell you that VS express for windows phone won't run on anything except Windows 8 64 bit, which I am not at all a fan of as it made both my laptops shitbricks as far as windows phone development goes. Make sure to check the requirements for what you want to do is the moral of that story I guess. Just because the hardware should work doesn't necessarily mean the software will let you :P

#11 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2975

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

Honestly, cheap 15.6" laptops are like a bad joke perpetrated on us by the computer industry

100% agreed. I've only bought a laptop so far (i3-330M based) and I cannot stress how much it sucks! I also had an atom 270, with worn-out SSD. It was flat out painful but at least it was something portable. Actually, I was positively impressed by the form factor, too bad it didn't cut it in the market.

I don't know how anyone here can support the idea of getting Intel graphics. Oh well, I finally got the chance to see HD4000 around here... it was about time!

#12 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8188

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

100% agreed. I've only bought a laptop so far (i3-330M based) and I cannot stress how much it sucks! I also had an atom 270, with worn-out SSD. It was flat out painful but at least it was something portable. Actually, I was positively impressed by the form factor, too bad it didn't cut it in the market.

I don't know how anyone here can support the idea of getting Intel graphics. Oh well, I finally got the chance to see HD4000 around here... it was about time!

You should see my mother - she keeps buying those underpowered Atom notebooks, I swear they literally have trouble playing back a webradio. But they're cheap, right? rolleyes.gif

As for Intel graphics, I agree completely. I still remember the days when I would need to heavily tweak even the least demanding game just to get a playable framerate on lowest settings. I came *that* close to getting one of those Clevo gaming laptops as a definitive remedy to my Intel GMA torment (ultimately opted for a desktop, though). But I will certainly never buy a DELL/Acer/etc laptop again for development or personal use. It just sucks.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#13 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

I'm running an Intel 512 ( Dell N5010 ) ... displays bluray movies in HD .... and can handle games like Skyrim just fine ... you can not judge the new generation of laptop cards, based off of the old gen performance.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#14 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4684

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

How about a Microsoft Surface Pro?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#15 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

On Intel, I do wish they did a better job of separating their processors. i3/i5/i7 seems alright, but then you realize there are like 10 different i5s and i7s in the ivybridge line, and some perform drastically differently. I understand they want to kind of cover up the number of choices and give the user an expected performance range, but the worst i5 I think has like half the power of the best i5, which makes it seem ridiculous that they are grouped together under 'i5'.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 27 December 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#16 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17281

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

The whole processor thing confuses me. I received a laptop recently with a single "Intel Core i7-2677M Processor 1.8GHz", and shrugged my shoulder in disdane* because my 5 year-old desktop has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4Ghz   (Not incredible either, but the i7 has worse "numbers" to my non-hardware eyes).

Is a single Intel 1.8GHz i7 greater than a dual core 2.4GHz AMD processor?

*Not really, free is free, and I'm hoping to sell it. It's actually a pretty good laptop with a SSD and everything, but I'm a desktop user.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 27 December 2012 - 02:05 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#17 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

http://browser.primatelabs.com/

will give a rough idea

#18 mdwh   Members   -  Reputation: 827

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's hard to fault it for the price - all the better things that people have posted about would cost more AFAIK.

If you were willing to spend more, the single best thing to improve how fast a computer feels (IMO) is an SSD. But that would make a significant increase in cost on a low computer.

You should see my mother - she keeps buying those underpowered Atom notebooks, I swear they literally have trouble playing back a webradio. But they're cheap, right?

They have their uses, specifically longer battery life, and not everyone cares about having high end CPU power, instead preferring portability (same as with ARM devices). Though if it can't even play webradio, that's a problem with that particular model. My Atom Samsung N220 has no trouble playing full screen video.

Personally I have a Clevo as my main machine, and the Samsung ultra-portable for when I'm travelling (even if I got a more powerful ultra-portable, it wouldn't be good enough for things like gaming - they all still have crappy Intel integrated graphics - so there's little point). Looking at the upcoming Windows hybrids, it's a similar situation: ARM is out for me because I want x86 full Windows (and ARM wouldn't be as powerful as Intel Core either anyway), and whilst I'd gladly spend more money on an Intel Core model, the battery life on the Atom Clover Trail models seems to be better.

Though, if your mother had some Atom based laptop that wasn't an ultra-portable (I see there are even desktop models), then yes that does seem more strange.

Servant of the Lord: I use something like www.cpubenchmark.net to get an idea of how CPUs compare.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.harman/conquests.html - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

#19 brx   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Actually, an i7 will always have multiple cores (i.e. at least two like the Intel Core i7-2677M). I assume that they do not specifically mention it in the description you read is, that at least two cores is absolutely standard today (it's damn near impossible to get actual single core CPUs today. Hell, even mobile phones have up to five cores these days...[seen in the HTC One X, maybe newer phones have even more]).

I don't know how the one you mentioned compares to your current AMD CPU, though, but I think that has already been covered by the links posted by zedz and mdwh.

#20 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17281

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

You're right, apparently it has two cores. The i7 is better, according to the CPUBenchmark.net site, which makes sense since that specific i7 was released only last year, and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ was released at least 5 years ago (though the benchmark site incorrectly says three years ago, mine came in the 5 year old computer I use).

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS