• Create Account

Compile errors

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 regonaros   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I just switched over to DirectX11 from DirectX9 and I've got the following compile errors when I ran my first DirectX program. any help appreciated.

1>------ Build started: Project: DirectX11, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 26-Dec-12 18:37:20.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1>  Touching "Debug\DirectX11.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>ClCompile:
1>  All outputs are up-to-date.
1>ManifestResourceCompile:
1>  All outputs are up-to-date.
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl InitializeDirect3d11App(struct HINSTANCE__ *)" (?InitializeDirect3d11App@@YA_NPAUHINSTANCE__@@@Z) referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>c:\users\mike\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\DirectX11\Debug\DirectX11.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.19
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 smasherprog   Members   -  Reputation: 432

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

This just means that the function

bool InitializeDirect3d11App(HINSTANCE__ *)

that is used in your

_WinMain function is never defined anywhere

It is called, but the compiler cannot find the actual function definition.

Wisdom is knowing when to shut up, so try it.
--Game Development http://nolimitsdesigns.com: Reliable UDP library, Threading library, Math Library, UI Library. Take a look, its all free.

#3 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13010

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

It is not a compile error it is a linker error.
Add the .CPP file containing that function to your project or, if you believe it already is then perform a full rebuild.

If the .CPP file is added and a full rebuild still fails, check the declaration of that function in its header file and ensure it is an exact match for its definition in the .CPP file (also assuming it exists in the .CPP at all).

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#4 regonaros   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Problem was in the naming of the function. Resolved.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS