• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Allegro

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 ggsam   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2001 - 11:36 PM

Hello anyone using allegro here?? :-)

Sponsor:

#2 Vendayan   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 16 October 2001 - 11:40 PM

I hate to upset you, but allegro for the most part is a pain to code and is also becoming a thing of the past anyway. Feel free to disagree but these days if you want to make a serious 3D game then go with OpenGL or DirectX. Not many allegro programmers around here.

~Vendayan

#3 ggsam   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2001 - 11:44 PM

Do I really need to start with 3d programming at fisrt? I fell 2d programming is much easier to grab basically
besides allegro is now ported to windows base on directX :-)

#4 Vendayan   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 16 October 2001 - 11:48 PM

Hehe, sorry. I assumed you were asking about 3D gaming programmers. Although I still feel that DirectX or OpenGL would be easiest to work with even for 2D games.

#5 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 17 October 2001 - 10:42 AM

Allegro yeah I did some allegro programming for a year or so great lib for djgpp and dos. But in the end when I switched from dos/allegro programming to the world of win32/Directx it kinda held me up. It was like why am I making all there routines for ploting pixels, sprites, sound,etc when ive got allegro? As far as the port to windows well its kinda nice but why? I mean why not just learn the directx api its runs over? You''ll learn alot more then you will if you just use allegro and call functions.

#6 Ganryu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2001 - 02:23 AM

Well... Maybe Allegro isn''t the best of the developer tools but it''s far more entertaining to develope in than DirectX. None of that Blah-Blah code to worry about. I''m more interested in developing GAMES than developing CODE, and Allegro allows me to do just that.

#7 Tsu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2001 - 06:51 AM

I use allegro! but thats just because it''s all i can afford

__
Tsu

#8 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 18 October 2001 - 09:36 AM

True if you dont care about learning how the technology behind allegro works and just want to make games allegro is good. But if you want to understand how and why things work I would say go for directx of opengl. Youll learn alot more and when you get stuck by something you want to do but cant in allegro youll know how to make a routine to do it.

#9 Etwinox   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 October 2001 - 06:31 AM

While I''m getting into OpenGL, I still say and probably will always say that Allegro is one of the best librarys out there.

Sure, no 3D, but its not a 3D library.

#10 Tsu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 October 2001 - 07:01 AM

Allegro can do 3D stuff... just not very well...
But yeah, if your looking to get into 3D games, then i suggest DirectX... if your looking to learn how to program games (the way i did), i suggest allegro, because it''s free.

__
Tsu

#11 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 19 October 2001 - 08:56 AM

Directx and opengl are free to. And I agree that allegro is a good library, but thats what it is its a lib for gamedevelopement. I prefere understanding the why and how behind the lib vs just the how to use the lib. And for atleast the why behind allegro is Directx for a large part of it. Either way use what you want I just like to encourage actully learning the technology behind what your useing.

Edited by - zenroth on October 19, 2001 3:57:26 PM

#12 Tsu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 October 2001 - 09:22 AM

i guess i should''v said free and small (as in file size)...

DirectX is free, but MSVC++ is rather expensive (unless your into Warez)
and i had no idea that opengl was free... cool...

The main problem i have with directx is that the file size is so darn big to download... you can probably buy a CD with it on it or something, but I can''t afford that (no income is a bummer)...

I found allegro easy to learn, but then again, i havent found the week and a half to download the stupid SDK (i have dial-up at home).

True, learning what''s going with your programs (behind the scenes) is a good idea, if your just interested in making a stupid pong game or something to test, then i would suggest Allegro.

DirectX / OpenGL are good to know, because i imagine that most game development companies use those (and i doubt any REAL companies use Allegro, although i will probably be proven wrong in a few replies)...

But, i dont mean to say any one is better, its either better capabilities, or smaller file size... whichever you prefer...

__
Tsu

#13 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 19 October 2001 - 09:43 AM

Yeah downloading the sdk is a pain on dialup ive only had to do it 3 times takes like 2 days. As far as Vc++ goes yeah unless you warez it or you get lucky on a cheap copy on ebay(got a 4.0 version for 10$ a while back) your kinda out of luck. But the cool thing is directx works with borlands free compiler and also dev c++.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS