• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Code tags occasionally messing up

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20275

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sometimes when using the new code tags, only the first line of the code gets wrapped in the code block, and the rest shows up outside of it.

Example: 
 buggycodetags.png

(link to pictured post)

Trying to reproduce the bug, I think this is how it occurs:

Have your editor in WYSIWYG mode, and manually type [ code ] and [ /code] around a multiline group of text:

image1tb.png

Hit "Preview", and see that the preview looks fine, but the new code in the edit box is messed up:

image2em.png

Note: You don't have to view the preview for the bug to occur, hitting "post" instead of "preview" will also cause the bug (or it may occur only after trying to edit a post, I'm not sure).

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 28 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Sponsor:

#2 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>
#include <iterator>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <utility>

using namespace std;

typedef pair<int,string> Pair;

inline bool less_than_second( const Pair& b1, const Pair& b2 ){
   return b1.second < b2.second;
}

int main( )
{
   const char* names[] = { "A","B", "C", "D","E" };
   const int values[] = { 18, 20, 26, 30, 41 };
   const int num_pairs = sizeof( names ) / sizeof( names[0] );

vector<Pair> pair( num_pairs );
   transform( values, values+num_pairs, names,pair.begin(), make_pair<int,string> );

sort( pair.begin(), pair.end() );

sort( pair.begin(), pair.end(), less_than_second );

vector<Pair>::const_iterator pair_end = pair.end();
   for( vector<Pair>::const_iterator i = pair.begin();
      i != pair_end; ++i )
   cout << i->second << " - $" << i->first << " values\n";
}

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 29 December 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#3 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

for (int i = 0; i < 30; i++)
{
    Console.WriteLine("Hello " + i);
}

<strike>strike through</strike>

bold
italic
undelrine
strike
subsuperol
li
http://www.gamedev.net

http://www.gamedev.net/

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 29 December 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#4 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>
#include <iterator>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <utility>

using namespace std;

}

int main( )
{
   const char* names[] = { "A","B", "C", "D","E" };
   const int values[] = { 18, 20, 26, 30, 41 };
   const int num_pairs = sizeof( names ) / sizeof( names[0] );

vector<Pair> pair( num_pairs );
   transform( values, values+num_pairs, names,pair.begin(), make_pair<int,string> );

sort( pair.begin(), pair.end() );
using namespace std;

}     sort( pair.begin(), pair.end(), less_than_second );      vector<Pair>::const_iterator pair_end = pair.end();    for( vector<Pair>::const_iterator i = pair.begin();       i != pair_end; ++i )    cout << i->second << " - $" << i->first << " values\n"; }

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 29 December 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#5 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

this

is

a 

multiline

text

test
test

test

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 29 December 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#6 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I think I got it.. oddly enough the company who makes this software says this is not a bug and people should just use the code button.   Yeah right..

Submitting a patch to them.

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20275

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

It's a "feature". Right. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the quick response!

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've found additional reproducable bugs with it.. (like when you go back and edit your code)   I am thinking our best bet would be to have the wysiwyg turned off by default.   This is nonsense.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 29 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#9 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19028

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

<p>We really don't need all of the features the editor offers for this community.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We <em>need</em> to be able to post code samples easily and without error, and we need a couple of basic formatting options for general text. &nbsp;It's good to be able to easily post proper links as well. &nbsp;Some of the other stuff is nice sometimes, but we don't by any stretch of the imagination need those things. &nbsp;We don't need indenting (outside of code), justified or right-aligned text formatting. &nbsp;We don't need fancy emoticons. &nbsp;We don't need (or even want) coloured text or weird fonts.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I'm sure it's probably a great post editor for communities where posting code is rare or unseen, but for us it needs to be a first-priority feature.</p>

Edited by jbadams, 29 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#10 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5434

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Unfortunately it's not easily possible to swap out.. the thing is so entrenched now in the software with 80 gazillion little customizations that it's barely ckeditor anymore. Hitting the lightswitch and going into the "bbcode" mode seems to be the better option since it works like our old editor used to work.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 30 December 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9055

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

WYSIWYG forum editors have never really worked flawlessly, ever, on any forum I've ever been to. Honestly I would not be against just throwing it away and using the tried and true "raw" mode where you typeset your post in plain text mode. Or maybe use Markdown instead, which I found an elegant compromise between the irritating WYSIWYG interfaces and the tedious HTML/bbcode tag management.

Just throwing some ideas out there.. 

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS