• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Ebooks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 haraiza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

Im trying to program a game with Visual C++ and SDL but without success. Do you know where find ebook about those themes?

Sponsor:

#2 dmreichard   Members   -  Reputation: 384

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Im trying to program a game with Visual C++ and SDL but without success. Do you know where find ebook about those themes?

Many publishers such as O'Reilly sell books in ebook format. Could you be more specific as to what you need focus on? Are you searching for a book covering the Visual C++ IDE? SDL? Programming in general?

#3 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Im trying to program a game with Visual C++ and SDL but without success. Do you know where find eBook about those themes?

Many publishers such as O'Reilly sell books in eBook format. Could you be more specific as to what you need focus on? Are you searching for a book covering the Visual C++ IDE? SDL? Programming in general?

I am a member of the O'Reilly Blogger Review program, so I get free books. I have to review every book I write in my Blog, however it's worth it. Considering I otherwise can't afford many books, it's a great system. You should look into that program if you're short on cash.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#4 haraiza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

dmreichard: You´re right, I didn´t specify about my problem. I am following the tutorials in lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

I was writtting the lesson 16, downloaded the source code (at the bottom of the page) to rewrite it and separate the interface from the implementation. After rewrite all the source code the class Dot didnt have access to the  global variables declarated in the file with the main.cpp. 

Im pretty shure this its a really dumb problem but since Im noob with de SDL library it´s very hard to me. 

superman3275: Didnt know about that.. its a sweet deal. I will try to do that, thanks smile.png

//main.cpp
#include "SDL_image.h"
#include "timer.h"
#include "dot.h"
#include <string>

//Screen attributes
const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

//The frame rate
const int FRAMES_PER_SECOND = 20;

//The dimensions of the dot
const int DOT_WIDTH = 20;
const int DOT_HEIGHT = 20;

//The surfaces
SDL_Surface *dot = NULL;
SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;

//The event structure
SDL_Event event;

SDL_Surface *load_image( std::string filename )
{
    //The image that's loaded
    SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;

//The optimized surface that will be used
    SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;

//Load the image
    loadedImage = IMG_Load( filename.c_str() );

//If the image loaded
    if( loadedImage != NULL )
    {
        //Create an optimized surface
        optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage );

//Free the old surface
        SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage );

//If the surface was optimized
        if( optimizedImage != NULL )
        {
            //Color key surface
            SDL_SetColorKey( optimizedImage, SDL_SRCCOLORKEY, SDL_MapRGB( optimizedImage->format, 0xFF, 0, 0xFF ) );
        }
    }

//Return the optimized surface
    return optimizedImage;
}

void apply_surface(int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination, SDL_Rect* clip = NULL)
{
//Holds offsets
SDL_Rect offset;

//Get offsets
offset.x = x;
offset.y = y;

//Blit
SDL_BlitSurface (source, clip, destination, &offset);
}

bool init()
{
    //Initialize all SDL subsystems
    if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) == -1 )
    {
        return false;
    }

//Set up the screen
    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );

//If there was an error in setting up the screen
    if( screen == NULL )
    {
        return false;
    }

//If everything initialized fine
    return true;
}

bool load_files()
{
//Load the image
dot = load_image("dot.bmp");

//If there was a problem in loading the dot
if(dot == NULL)
return false;

//If everything loaded fine
return true;
}

void clean_up()
{
SDL_FreeSurface( dot );

//Quit SDL
SDL_Quit();
}

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
//Quit flag 
bool quit = false;

//The dot that will be used
Dot myDot;

//The frame rate regulator
Timer fps;

//Initializate
if( init() == false )
return 1;

//Load the files
if( load_files() == false )
return 1;

//While the user hasn´t quit
while( quit == false )
{
//If there´s events to handle
if( SDL_PollEvent ( &event ) )
{

//Handle events for the dot
myDot.handle_input();

//If Xed was press
if(event.type == SDL_QUIT)
{
//Close the window
quit = true;
}

}//PollEvent

//Move the dot
myDot.move();

SDL_FillRect(screen, &screen->clip_rect, SDL_MapRGB(screen->format, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF) );

//Show the dot on the screen
myDot.show();

//Update the screen
if( SDL_Flip( screen ) == -1)
return 1;

//Cap the frame rate
if(fps.get_ticks() < 1000/FRAMES_PER_SECOND)
{
SDL_Delay( (1000/FRAMES_PER_SECOND)-fps.get_ticks()  );
}

}//while

//Clean up
clean_up();

return 0;
}

//dot.h
#ifndef DOT_H
#define DOT_H

class Dot
{
public:
	Dot();
	void handle_input();
	void move();
	void show();

private:
	int x;
	int y;
	int xVel;
	int yVel;
}
#endif

//dot.cpp
#include "dot.h"
#include "SDL.h"
#include "SDL_image.h"

Dot::Dot()
{
	x = 0;
	y = 0;
	xVel = 0;
	yVel = 0;
}

void Dot::handle_input()
{
	if(event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN)
	{
		//Adjust the velocity
		switch(event.key.keysym.sym)
		{
			case SDLK_UP:		yVel -= DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_DOWN:		yVel += DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_LEFT:		xVel -= DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_RIGHT:	xVel += DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
		}
	}
	//If a key was released
	else if(event.type == SDL_KEYUP)
	{
		switch(event.key.keysym.sym)
		{
			case SDLK_UP:		yVel += DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_DOWN:		yVel -= DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_LEFT:		xVel += DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
			case SDLK_RIGHT:	xVel -= DOT_HEIGHT /2; break;
		}
	}
}

void Dot::move()
{
	//Move the dot right or left
	x += xVel;

//If the dot went too far to the left or right
	if( (x < 0) || (x + DOT_WIDTH > SCREEN_WIDTH) )
	{
		//move back
		x -= xVel;
	}

//Move the dot up or down
	y += yVel;

//If the dot went too far to the left or right
	if( (y < 0) || (x + DOT_HEIGHT > SCREEN_HEIGHT) )
	{
		//move back
		y -= yVel;
	}
}

void Dot::show()
{
	apply_surface(x, y, dot, screen);
}
//timer.h
#ifndef TIMER_H
#define TIMER_H

class Timer
{
public:

Timer();		//Initialize the class
	void start();	
	void stop();
	void pause();
	void unpause();
	int get_ticks();
	bool is_started();
	bool is_paused();

private:

int startTicks;	//The clock time when the time start
	int pausedTicks;	//The clock stored when the timer was paused
	bool paused;	// The timer status
	bool started;	// The timer status
}
#endif
//timer.cpp
#include "timer.h"
#include "SDL_image.h"

Timer::Timer()
{
	startTicks = 0;
	pausedTicks = 0;
	paused = false;
	started = false;
}

void Timer::start()
{
	started = true;
	paused = false;
	startTicks = SDL_GetTicks();
}

void Timer::stop()
{
	started = false;
	paused = false;
}

void Timer::pause()
{
	if(	(started == true) && (paused == false) )
	{
		paused = true;
		pausedTicks = SDL_GetTicks() - startTicks;
	}
}

void Timer::unpause()
{
	if(paused == true)
	{
		paused = false;
		startTicks = SDL_GetTicks() - pausedTicks;
		pausedTicks = 0;
	}
}

int Timer::get_ticks()
{
	if(started == true)
	{
		if(paused == true)
			return pausedTicks;
		else
			return SDL_GetTicks() - startTicks;
	}

return 0;
}

bool Timer::is_started()
{
	return started;
}

bool Timer::is_paused()
{
	return paused;
}

At the end, the Output says:

1>------ Build started: Project: Pruebas con SDL, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  timer.cpp
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Timer' followed by 'signed' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Timer' followed by '__int8' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_stdinc.h(126): error C2118: negative subscript
1>  dot.cpp
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Dot' followed by 'signed' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Dot' followed by '__int8' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(15): error C2065: 'event' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(15): error C2228: left of '.type' must have class/struct/union
1>          type is ''unknown-type''
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(18): error C2065: 'event' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(18): error C2228: left of '.key' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(18): error C2228: left of '.keysym' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(18): error C2228: left of '.sym' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(20): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(21): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(22): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(23): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(27): error C2065: 'event' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(27): error C2228: left of '.type' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(29): error C2065: 'event' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(29): error C2228: left of '.key' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(29): error C2228: left of '.keysym' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(29): error C2228: left of '.sym' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(31): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(32): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(33): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(34): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(45): error C2065: 'DOT_WIDTH' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(45): error C2065: 'SCREEN_WIDTH' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(55): error C2065: 'DOT_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(55): error C2065: 'SCREEN_HEIGHT' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(64): error C2065: 'dot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(64): error C2065: 'screen' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(64): error C3861: 'apply_surface': identifier not found
1>  General.cpp
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.h(5): error C2236: unexpected 'class' 'Dot'. Did you forget a ';'?
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.h(5): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.h(5): error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(139): error C2065: 'Dot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(139): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'myDot'
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(139): error C2065: 'myDot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(160): error C2065: 'myDot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(160): error C2228: left of '.handle_input' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(172): error C2065: 'myDot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(172): error C2228: left of '.move' must have class/struct/union
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(177): error C2065: 'myDot' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(177): error C2228: left of '.show' must have class/struct/union
1>  Generating Code...
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

#5 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Try using Pre-Compiled headers. Saves you a lot of time smile.png.

When you declare a variable in Main.cpp, it isn't included in any other files, and it's generally bad practice to include "Main.cpp" in another .h or .cpp file. What you could do is make a new file called "Global.h" and decalre all your Global variables in that file. That way, all you have to do is include "Global.h" in all of your source files.

Cheers smile.png!

Edited by superman3275, 29 December 2012 - 03:20 PM.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

#6 haraiza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I followed your advice. Now the error its different and as always I'm clueless. Who else but Superman can help me :)  

1>------ Build started: Project: Pruebas con SDL, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  timer.cpp
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Timer' followed by 'signed' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Timer' followed by '__int8' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>  functions_SDL.cpp
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\globals.h(7): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'event'
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\globals.h(7): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\constants.h(5): error C2628: 'Timer' followed by 'int' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\constants.h(5): error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'Timer'
1>          No constructor could take the source type, or constructor overload resolution was ambiguous
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\functions_sdl.cpp(45): error C2572: 'apply_surface' : redefinition of default parameter : parameter 5
1>          c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\functions_sdl.h(12) : see declaration of 'apply_surface'
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\functions_sdl.cpp(66): error C2664: 'SDL_SetVideoMode' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const Timer' to 'int'
1>          No user-defined-conversion operator available that can perform this conversion, or the operator cannot be called
1>  dot.cpp
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Dot' followed by 'signed' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\sdl-1.2.15\include\sdl_config_win32.h(33): error C2628: 'Dot' followed by '__int8' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\dot.cpp(10): error C2533: 'Dot::{ctor}' : constructors not allowed a return type
1>  General.cpp
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\globals.h(7): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'event'
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\globals.h(7): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\constants.h(5): error C2628: 'Dot' followed by 'int' is illegal (did you forget a ';'?)
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\constants.h(5): error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'Dot'
1>          No constructor could take the source type, or constructor overload resolution was ambiguous
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(54): error C2664: 'SDL_PollEvent' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'int *' to 'SDL_Event *'
1>          Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>c:\users\humberto\dropbox\programas en c++\pruebas con sdl\pruebas con sdl\general.cpp(61): error C2228: left of '.type' must have class/struct/union
1>          type is 'int'
1>  Generating Code...
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Here´s my source code. 

Attached Files

#7 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

There is a book on SDL. Its called "Focus on SDL" by premier press. you can get it on amazon

#8 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Can you attach your source code? It's hard to understand the errors without context, however I believe your code is missing many Semicolons(;) after you are declaring Variables / Structures. You are also trying to convert (or indirectly converting) some of your variables into Integers.

#9 haraiza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

ISDCaptain01: Thanks. A friend will lead me te book but until the next month... right now he´s on vacations in Cuba.

superman3275: Here´s the whole file. My IDE doesnt show any sisntax error but maybe you will see more than I do.  Any help will be very appreciate smile.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679069/Pruebas%20con%20SDL.rar

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS