• Create Account

- - - - -

asSFuncPtr executable size optimization

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1413

1Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

For my personal use (Urho3D engine) I've done some modifications to AngelScript, some of which are dubious, but here's something that shouldn't be much destructive to performance, but reduce the executable size, possibly even by a hundred KB or so, if there's a lot of classes & functions being registered.

It has to do with the template functions for initializing asSFuncPtr's. While the original template code memclear's the function pointer object (which is possibly also inlined), and then sets the flag member variable according to whether it's a function or method

// Specialization for functions using the generic calling convention
template<>
inline asSFuncPtr asFunctionPtr<asGENFUNC_t>(asGENFUNC_t func)
{
    asSFuncPtr p;
    asMemClear(&p, sizeof(p));
    p.ptr.f.func = reinterpret_cast<asFUNCTION_t>(func);

// Mark this as a generic function
    p.flag = 1;

return p;
}

I've created a non-inline constructor for asSFuncPtr, which does the memclear and sets the flag

asSFuncPtr::asSFuncPtr(asBYTE f)
{
    asMemClear(this, sizeof(asSFuncPtr));
    flag = f;
}

By using that, the template functions become shortened and should consume less memory:

// Specialization for functions using the generic calling convention
template<>
inline asSFuncPtr asFunctionPtr<asGENFUNC_t>(asGENFUNC_t func)
{
    asSFuncPtr p(1);
    p.ptr.f.func = reinterpret_cast<asFUNCTION_t>(func);

return p;
}

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

Sponsor:

#2 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3444

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thanks. I'll incorporate this change.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#3 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3444

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I've checked in the changes in revision 1527.

In my regression test suite this change reduced the size of the executable with 57KB.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#4 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1413

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Nice to hear!

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS