• Create Account

What to do first? Making web-based game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 NandangChester   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Why Choose a Web Based Game?

I Want To Creating Games That Do not Need To Install & Download. Because it takes a long time.

Why Choose Gamedev.net To ask?

I think Gamedev.net active forum members because I choose gamedev.net. Already I Find how to make a web based browser game with google and other search engines, but alas, to no avail

What should I do to create a web-based game?

Sponsor:

#2 JinixVomitorium   Members   -  Reputation: 151

2Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Decide what you want the game to be, different types of web based games require different methods.

ex: single player puzzles may require java script

or

ex: multi player games may require a database, sql, php, javascript, ect...

Personally: you should first get together a team or you will lose motivation on the project.

Get familiar with Html/5, CSS, Java Script, sql,php,

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

#3 markr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1653

1Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

The same way you'd create a non-browser-based game. There is nothing fundamentally different.

Of course you need to be clear about what platforms / devices you're targetting, and what their capabilities are. This is exactly like creating any other game.

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5450

1Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

When starting out on HTML games, use an existing library, there are tons of them.  EaselJS is a simple one to start with, i've been working with it lately and it's extremely easy.

#5 Sollum   Members   -  Reputation: 725

1Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Take a ton of paper and a good load of pencils and start writing and drawing.
When all the questions are answered in written form, start coding.

Web browser games usually are something with RPG or TBS (or even RTS). You can do the gameplay model in real life, on paper with matches, as units and etc.

What i am trying to say - Test out the model in real life before sitting down and coding. Will save you lots of time.

Edited by Sollum, 30 December 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#6 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1611

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use HTML 5 to develop a game with. There have been marginal improvements for games recently such as the addition of the canvas, but there are still some things that need to be ironed out to make it ideal for games.  Java applets are one option that makes development  more like that of "regular" games.

Want To Creating Games That Do not Need To Install & Download. Because it takes a long time.

I wouldn't say installations are really that long usually, and many games now are written to not require and installation at all such as Minecraft, just drag on to the desktop and double-click. While there are certainly advantages to web development, I don't think that's it.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#7 SillyCow   Members   -  Reputation: 849

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Assuming your game is an action game where the pages are not reloaded between moves:

* If you're targeting a PC/iPad/iPhone and your game is real-time action, I suggest you start using the Canvas object.

* If you are targeting Android, don't use HTML (It's slow and unpredictable where graphics are concerned).

** Open a canvas and play around with it in javascript.

* Use an IDE, I personally recommend Webstorm, Never develop from Notepad (or emacs). Thats just sloppy.

* Use Chrome/Safari for debugging (depends if you're on PC/Apple) [In chrome press ctrl+shift+j to start the debugger].. 

* Learn about closures in JavaScript (They are quite different from Java/C)

Edited by SillyCow, 30 December 2012 - 05:25 PM.

My new android game : Enemies of the Crown

My previous android game : Killer Bees

#8 NandangChester   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Specifications game I expected:
- ADVENTURE game ever powered by mission
- Supports the Chrome browser, Mozilla, etc.
- Have Features CLAN, Friends, Rank, Battle PvP, Etc.
- With Easy Updates Game Or Weapon, Item, Etc.
- Has Multi Server

What language should I use? is there any other applications or platforms to support the making of the game?

#9 Dan Mayor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1712

4Likes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think we're missing the bigger more important point here.  Some of the early posts mentioned go back to the drawing board and design your game first.  This is the crucial first step that makes or breaks the majority of all projects out there.  Without a good design document and a solid plan for what your trying to make you won't get anywhere no matter what technology you learn or how many people your recruit.

Beyond that you should have at least a basic understanding of how the internet and web pages work to understand some design limitations that you will have to stick to.  First off is the most important part, you need to realize that a web page runs in 2 environments.  First on the server through some server side programming language like PHP.  At this stage your page / site or game can do logic on the server side.  You can access the database, read other players stats and what not.  This is the hub of anything that needs to be interactive (as in the player need something from the game or from another player).

Once the server is done doing all it's magic it will then send files to the client (or your players web browser).  Your web browser downloads these files, displays text, images and effects and executes javascript code (ON THE PLAYERS MACHINE).  From here your javascript can NOT access stuff on the server directly.  You can not get another players stats, you can not write to top scores file, all you can do is manipulate what's in memory (for this page) and edit the contents of the page.

You CAN send requests to the server, let it do something and give you a response.  Use that response to edit something on the page and continue.  You can even download other images, send and receive multiple requests and manipulate the page all at once using async methods that are standard practice in javascript now adays.  It's just important to know that your game exists in two places at once and that each side can only do things in it's own area.  The server can only send files to the client it can't listen for clicks or button presses.  The client side can't read or write to your database (but it can ask the server to get some results).

Once you have a good understanding on that (wherein you completely understand what I just said) your ready to get started.  This is when you want to get off the forums, turn off the computer and start scribbling in your note pad.  (Ok you can use Open Office).  You want to write up at least a dozen pages or more before you even start considering anything else.  You want to know what is the general game progression, who / what can the player control, how do you play the game, what is the objective to win, how in game puzzles or quests will work and any other important main line game systems.

Yes it is more important to have a good design document explaining your game than it is to know anything about web development.  Even if you are the best web programmer in the world if you have no clue what your building it just won't work for you.  On the good side of things though once you have over 12 pages written and you have answered the majority of the questions in the previous paragraph you will be able to start scouting technologies.  It will be easier to figure out what you need to do and what you can use to get it done.  I would still recommend getting an experienced programmer to make these calls for you but even he/she will need the design document to know what they need.

So in short your first step in developing a web based game is to first learn the limitations of the web.  Second write out a HUGE design document, something easy to read informative and helpful.  Something you can give to me so that I understand how all of the mechanics of your game work, something that I can read and actually visualize the game in my head.  Once you have that then you'll be ready to start addressing the necessary technologies, engines, frameworks and so on.

Digivance Game Studios Founder:

Dan Mayor - Dan@Digivance.com
 www.Digivance.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS