• Create Account

Need suggestions for "precise shots" in a 2d isometric game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 eppopparelle   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone,

So I was thinking about a concept of an isometric survival game focusing on the lack of food and equipment. One point I was stuck at is that if the player has very limited resources then they should be able to get the best out of them, and there comes the concept of precision into play. If, let's say, you have 3 bullets and 2 monsters are attacking you, then you should be able to aim and try to get a head-shot on them. The issue is that I have no idea how I would simulate/fake/create an illusion of the third dimension in such a setting. I would like to hear your suggestions or alternatives to improve on my point of the game.

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Use a little popup window and have the user aim.

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2565

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Daaark" data-cid="5016200" data-time="1356997115"><p>
Use a little popup window and have the user aim.</p></blockquote>

You could pop such a small window (ingame) when your mouse is over something shootable.

Though i feel it wouldnt really add much to the game and just be annoying...

o3o

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Though i feel it wouldnt really add much to the game and just be annoying...
That's impossible to accurately judge until there is a working implementation to actually try it. You could easily do something like LMB to shoot from the hip, or RMB to aim in a pop up window. Possibly limited to characters who have a specific skill.

#5 eppopparelle   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

As a matter of fact, I would like to see if anybody has an idea on how to do this thing in real time. It doesn't have to be really precise; any kind of trick that makes sense to the players would do.

#6 Luis Guimaraes   Members   -  Reputation: 231

1Likes

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Play Desperados: Wanted Dead Or Alive, and check how sniping works.

#7 Crushanator   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Have the player hold a button, this will put a large cross hair icon with a large box over the enemy they were aiming at. While aiming the player can't move, and the box over the enemy shrinks down. At a certain point the box gets as small as its going to be, and the cross hair changes color, maybe from white to red. Then all shots do extra damage until the player releases the aim button.

No need for separate windows or weird control schemes: hold a button (a bumper or right click) wait a second without moving, extra damage.

#8 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9883

0Likes

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Project a targeting reticle. 

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS