• Create Account

Running application with PIX -> shutdown

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Plerion   Members   -  Reputation: 368

1Likes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hello everyone

Im currently encountering some issues with PIX. If i run my application without PIX it starts without any problems but if i run it with PIX it runs a little while und before the window shows the process already exits. If i use a replayable thats what i get:
50e41556959758_PIX.jpg

So i can see that the last call was IDXGISwapChain::GetBuffer after that theres an error. So i went to my code which looks like that:

void GxDevice::initBuffers()
{
	ID3D11Texture2D* targetBuffer = nullptr;
	mSwapChain->GetBuffer(0, __uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D), (LPVOID*)&targetBuffer);

D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC rtvDesc;	memset(&rtvDesc, 0, sizeof(rtvDesc));
	rtvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
	rtvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_RTV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;
	rtvDesc.Texture2D.MipSlice = 0;

res = mDevice->CreateRenderTargetView(targetBuffer, &rtvDesc, &mRenderView);

targetBuffer->Release();
}

So first i added a messagebox before CreateRenderTargetView and it gets hit by PIX. If i move it after CreateRenderTargetView it doesnt get hit.

Then i remembered that i have a little feature in my application that if the binary is built in debug mode and no debugger is attached it attaches a fork of itself to the process as debugger and prints all important debug events to a file. So i turned on that feature and started it again with PIX. What i get now is the following output:
http://pastebin.com/Ahgz5Ydb

With the obviously interesting line:
D3D11 CORRUPTION: ID3D11Device::CreateRenderTargetView: First parameter is corrupt! [ MISCELLANEOUS CORRUPTION #13: CORRUPTED_PARAMETER1]

So that means targetBuffer seems to be corrupt when using PIX (i dont get that message in the output if i run the application without PIX).

Anyone got an idea why this could happen?

Any help is appreciated,
Plerion

/EDIT:
Ive just seen that this is a known issue with PIX on windows 8... darn it, thats annoying, windows 8 is in such an unfinished state....

Sponsor:

#2 NewDisplayName   Members   -  Reputation: 359

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/635747-pix-not-working-in-windows-8/

#3 Plerion   Members   -  Reputation: 368

0Likes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Yea, thanks, ive just seen it. Slowly windows 8 starts to annoy me. A lot of kernel functions are not yet implemented (im not sure how it is now but for example a few weeks ago NtFlushInstructionCache in kernel mode did nothing more but return STATUS_SUCCESS), essential features are missing and so on... Seems like i have to work on my laptop then...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS