• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

OpenGL in Java

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 debarra   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I have been trying to learn how to use OpenGL with Java, primarily using LWJGL. The only problem is that I can't find many tutorials for it. I was wondering if it was possible to learn OpenGL using other language tutorials. I mean would the C++ tutorials be usable for Java, with a little modification.

Sponsor:

#2 NewDisplayName   Members   -  Reputation: 359

1Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I was wondering if it was possible to learn OpenGL using other language tutorials.

If you want to learn OpenGL then language shouldn't matter anyhow. In your case since you will porting most code from C++ to Java for trying things out, it sounds even more convenient.

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5033

1Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Did you try the NEHE tutorials?

http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/lessons_01__05/22004/

At the bottom of each lesson is code for many different languages, including LWJGL.

I would start there!
I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#4 debarra   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Ok thanks

#5 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4787

1Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yep you can. I'm currently learning with arcsynthesis.org/gltut book, which uses C++.

I started with LWJGL Wiki tutorials that teach you how to draw a textured quad so I could grasp better how the Java -> OpenGL communication works, which means dealing with some Java Native Interface stuff (ie, using FloatBuffers for sending data).

After that I started implementing with LWJGL the things I learned in the Arcsynthesis book. Currently I have perspective, rotation and translation matrices working and I was going to implement a proper camera and implementing rotations with quaternions (all explained in the book for OpenGL 3.3).

Edited by TheChubu, 03 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#6 debarra   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I am using the LWJGL tutorials on NEHE now, thanks. I wonder though if OpenGL in Java would be powerful enough for something like a 3D multiplayer game or will it be as powerful as OpenGL?

#7 Aldacron   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3277

1Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

I am using the LWJGL tutorials on NEHE now, thanks. I wonder though if OpenGL in Java would be powerful enough for something like a 3D multiplayer game or will it be as powerful as OpenGL?

"OpenGL in Java" *is* OpenGL. It doesn't matter which language you happen to use it from. All OpenGL bindings end up using the same system drivers. For a well-known example of a Java OpenGL game, check out Minecraft.

#8 debarra   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Ok thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS