• Create Account

Beginner - where to start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vanillaface1   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi,
I'm a beginner when it comes to programming, I have a very small background in python but not much. I want to make a simple platformer but don't know what language to use. I have seen people suggest c++ as a good language for gaming but I don't really know what else needs to go with it in order to make a game.
I realise I need to start off with a few games like snake or space invaders, but I want to learn a language that will create both those games and something more complex.
I'll be using an iMac to design and create the game.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 sednihp   Members   -  Reputation: 241

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

C++ isn't a great place to start if you're not confident in programming. Python is a lot easier place to start, especially as you have a background in it (however small). You can run it with PyGame to make 2D games like Pong, Space Invaders etc. Invent With Python is a good starting point, it will take you through making games with PyGame and has a lot of different types of games in it.

Once you feel like you've gone as far as you can with Python, then moving on to C++ will be a lot easier, at which point you'll need SDL or SFML for 2D programming. Once you're happy with your work with those, then you'll want to move onto OpenGL/DirectX for 3D work.

Edited by sednihp, 03 January 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#3 Vanillaface1   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll start with python then move to C++ at a later date.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS