I recently posted asking for ideas for a new RTS. Here is a key concept that I'm considering right now, and I'd love to hear feed back on it.
The RTS will be split into two key areas.
1) City Building.
- Safe, in your country, as a single settlement. Weak in technology.
- Over time, increase the city size, built up your military base, improve your technologies.
- Develop squads to send in to the battle front.
2) Battle Front.
- An ongoing everlasting war.
- Your squad is dropped off in the heat of battle on some random planet. AI will attempt to place you in an area that you have a balanced chance of survival.
- You don't create buildings here. but you do get far better control of your troops, and they get better tactical AI's than Blizzard RTS's
- Scenery can be altered. (explosions can leave dents. Ditches can be dug, Rock and dirt can be used to create Cover areas. etc...)
What ideas do you have around this? What would be really useful in this environment? What changes would you make to what I suggested?
Thanks for any feed back.