I am working on a turn-based single player game. Requirements:
- Sprites move & rotate in turn
- No need 3D
- able to view it in mobile (can separate into 2 languages, one for desktop, one for mobile)
- connect to server-side to save & load game data
- server-side is written in PHP5 & MySQL
- Apache web server (with Ruby-on-Rail & Perl support)
I have the following choices of programming languages:
- Flash / ActionScript 3 : it was the best game frontend programming language. It was, but it is fading out
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails ? my web server supports this, but I'm not sure if it fits
- LUA ? same
- Objective-C / Java with Cocos2D / Cocos2D-x : a promising game engine for iOS & Android, but it is mobile only
- Silverlight / C# / XNA / WMF : Microsoft's Flash replacement. Mine is a Linux server, so can't.
- OpenGL + C++ : it is supported in modern browsers, but development time may be longer
- Unity 3D or other game engines with browser plugins : possible, but I prefer a free solution. Also, I only need 2D.
Game Developers, please advise.