• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

GLFW Linking errors Visual Studio 10

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

1Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm having trouble setting up GLFW on Visual Studio 10.0 I was following this guys tutorial. However I am still getting linking errors

1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwClearWindowHints already defined in window.obj 1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwClearInput already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwInputKey already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwInputChar already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwInputMouseClick already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwChooseFBConfig already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwInputDeactivation already defined in window.obj
1>GLFW.lib(init.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwInitialized already defined in init.obj
1>GLFW.lib(glext.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwParseGLVersion already defined in glext.obj
1>GLFW.lib(glext.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwStringInExtensionString already defined in glext.obj
1>GLFW.lib(glext.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwRefreshContextParams already defined in glext.obj
1>MSVCRTD.lib(cinitexe.obj) : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

I have tried googling the errors but I havent found much help. I have linked opengl32/lib and glu32.lib in the linker settings. I have also linked the appropriate folders for include and lib. I downloaded and linked both the win32 binaries and the original zip from the GLFW site.

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>   
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <GL/glew.h>
#define GLFW_DLL
#include <GL/glfw.h>
#pragma comment(lib,"glfwdll.lib")
#include <GL/glm/glm.hpp>

int main()
{
glfwInit();
glfwSleep( 1.0 );
glfwTerminate();
}

Any help is appreciated..h>.h>.h>

Sponsor:

#2 __SKYe   Members   -  Reputation: 1069

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Try including glfw before you include glew.

Also try cleaning and rebuilding the project and see if it works.

#3 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

okay, now i get this
1>c:\users\dakota\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\spawngl\main.cpp(13): warning C4005: 'GLFW_DLL' : macro redefinition
1>          command-line arguments :  see previous definition of 'GLFW_DLL'
1>c:\users\dakota\desktop\glew-1.9.0-win32\glew-1.9.0\include\gl\glew.h(84): fatal error C1189: #error :  gl.h included before glew.h
1>

#4 __SKYe   Members   -  Reputation: 1069

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I just checked this http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/34102/can-i-use-glfw-and-glew-together-in-the-same-code

include glew before glfw, and comment the GLFW_DLL part, and see if it works.

#5 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Done. Now I'm getting the same errors as before.

1>glfw.lib(window.obj) : error LNK2005: __glfwClearWindowHints already defined in window.obj

etc.

#6 __SKYe   Members   -  Reputation: 1069

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Call glewInit() before glfwInit().

If it doesn't work, maybe you should consider stop using glew, and try something else.

#7 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Tired that, and I believe it's GLFW that is acting up, according to the errors.

#8 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Okay I tried following the instructions here

and I managed to get this

but when I type "nmake win32-msys" I get a bunch of errors. Is this the correct one for visual studio 10?

#9 noizex   Members   -  Reputation: 879

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

You're not linking to static glfw.lib and DLL at the same time somehow? Also consider switching to GLFW 3.0 and compiling it yourself for your platform. It's almost release-ready, I'm using it for a year and didn't have a single problem (except for name-changes that happened during development of lib, but its just minor inconvenience).

By the way, any reason why you're not linking GLFW as static lib?

Edited by noizex, 06 January 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#10 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

You're not linking to static glfw.lib and DLL at the same time somehow?

Not sure what that means, I'm kinda new to OpenGL and Visual Studio. Explain? :)

Also consider switching to GLFW 3.0 and compiling it yourself for your platform.

Do you think that would work for this turorial? If so then I'm all ears.

By the way, any reason why you're not linking GLFW as static lib?

Again, I'm not sure how to do this. help?

#11 dougbinks   Members   -  Reputation: 486

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Take a look at my glew + glfw sample here: https://github.com/dougbinks/glewfw for a working example.

Remember to set the example as the start project before running it, and if you have any issues let me know - I'll be travelling for a day or so but should be able to help after that. Note that if you don't have git you can just click on the ZIP button to download a zip of the current code.

#12 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Take a look at my glew + glfw sample here: https://github.com/dougbinks/glewfw for a working example.

Remember to set the example as the start project before running it, and if you have any issues let me know - I'll be travelling for a day or so but should be able to help after that. Note that if you don't have git you can just click on the ZIP button to download a zip of the current code.

Thanks! I set example as the startup, and the build succeeds, however I get an example.exe error window afterwards. :/

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000000d). Click OK to close the application."

I tried setting glewfw as the startup after this and I got...

"Unable to start application

C:\blablabla\glewfw\debug\glewfw.dll"

*Sigh* Anything I can do about this?

#13 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Okay so I followed this guys tutorial this time.

I was able to build all of the projects for GLFW 3.0

So now I'm going in and editing them while following the tutorial on open.gl/context

More specifically I took the "triangle" project and started it from scratch to follow said tutorial.

But Functions like glfwSleep() and glfwOpenWindowHint() are still undefined. Are these not used in GLFW 3.0?

Can I not use GLFW 3.0 for this tutorial?

#14 noizex   Members   -  Reputation: 879

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

So now I'm going in and editing them while following the tutorial on open.gl/context
More specifically I took the "triangle" project and started it from scratch to follow said tutorial.
But Functions like glfwSleep() and glfwOpenWindowHint() are still undefined. Are these not used in GLFW 3.0?
Have a look at GLFW 3.0 examples to see how to setup basic window. Yes, some things are gone in GLFW3, including these 2 functions you mentioned.

Use glfwWindowHint instead, and threading support was removed from GLFW. Best look at provided examples/tests and into code - thats best reference for now (although there was a link to PDF with GLFW3 reference, it may be a bit outdated but its better than nothing, I will post it when I find it)

GLFW unofficial (and prob unfinished) doc: http://www.glfw.org/TEMP/3.0/modules.html

Edited by noizex, 07 January 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#15 Dakattack   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Have a look at GLFW 3.0 examples to see how to setup basic window. Yes, some things are gone in GLFW3, including these 2 functions you mentioned.

Use glfwWindowHint instead, and threading support was removed from GLFW. Best look at provided examples/tests and into code - thats best reference for now (although there was a link to PDF with GLFW3 reference, it may be a bit outdated but its better than nothing, I will post it when I find it)

Got it, glfwCreateWindow(); seems to be the new sensation.

Thanks for the help. Is there anything else I should know before I continue with GLFW 3.0? 

Also, is it possible to use two libraries at the same time? Say SFML 2.0 and GLFW 3.0? Are there any advantages to this? 

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I admire your knowledge and I truly appreciate they help you (and everyone else) has given me. 

Onward with OpenGL!

#16 noizex   Members   -  Reputation: 879

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the help. Is there anything else I should know before I continue with GLFW 3.0?

Not really, just make sure to work on most recent source and keep in mind that API still changes so you may find yourself in a situation where some function name was renamed.

Also, is it possible to use two libraries at the same time? Say SFML 2.0 and GLFW 3.0? Are there any advantages to this?

Not sure if its possible, but its rather pointless as these two libraries have duplicate functionality. Both are used to create GL context, but SFML offers much more (just check the site for all the modules it has). GLFW is solely focused on getting you a GL context and handles events in a created window(s). It does nothing more, which is nice if you want to do things yourself rather than rely on a big library to do everything for you (SFML).

If you really want to learn OpenGL I guess its worth going minimal and learn the basics rather than have a library do it for you (SFML has GL wrappers for most functionality so you can work with it without using the low level API at all).

#17 dougbinks   Members   -  Reputation: 486

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

[Edited as miss-read some of the original post]

Do you have the call stack from the debug session of what happened when trying to run the example - I've run this on several computers with no problems so it might be something simple for me to fix if I can get enough information.

Edited by dougbinks, 07 January 2013 - 03:56 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS