• Create Account

Get Device using GUID always fails

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 gretty   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hello

I am attempting to get information(location info, location path, etc.) about a device that is currently connected to the computer in C++ Win32. I know how to get this information by using the function SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty()

Before I use the function SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty(), I must first call SetupDiGetSelectedDevice() because I need to pass a SP_DEVINFO_DATA as a parameter inside SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty(). Is this correct?

My Problem: I can never get the device using the function SetupDiGetSelectedDevice(). When I call that function it always fails, ie, returns FALSE. GetLastError() returns the code e0000211 which I am not sure what that means.

Whats going wrong with my following code? If I am using the wrong function to *get* a device then what function do I use to get a device? I hope I dont have to enumerate over EVERY device present to find a device with the same GUID that I am looking for, thats a bit inefficient, I am thinking that windows may have a way to get a device by its GUID..?

INT_PTR WINAPI WinProcCallback( HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam )
    {
        switch (message)
        {
            case WM_DEVICECHANGE:
            {
                TCHAR strBuff[256];

PDEV_BROADCAST_HDR h = (PDEV_BROADCAST_HDR) lParam;
                if (h->dbch_devicetype != DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE) {
                    printf("h->dbch_devicetype != DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE\n");
                    break;
                }

PDEV_BROADCAST_DEVICEINTERFACE b = (PDEV_BROADCAST_DEVICEINTERFACE) h;

switch (wParam)
                {
                    case DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL:
                    {
                        DWORD dataT = 0;
                    SP_DEVINFO_DATA deviceInfoData = {0};
                    deviceInfoData.cbSize          = sizeof(SP_DEVINFO_DATA);
                    deviceInfoData.ClassGuid       = b->dbcc_classguid;

// The following function always works and is successful
                    HDEVINFO hDevInfo = SetupDiGetClassDevs(&b->dbcc_classguid, NULL, NULL, DIGCF_PRESENT | DIGCF_DEVICEINTERFACE);
                    if (hDevInfo == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
                        printf("hDevInfo == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE\n");
                        break;
                    }

// ERROR OCCURS HERE: The following function ALWAYS returns false: whats going wrong?
                    if (SetupDiGetSelectedDevice(hDevInfo, &deviceInfoData) == FALSE) {
                        printf("SetupDiGetSelectedDevice(hDevInfo, &deviceInfoData) == FALSE\n");
                        break;
                    }

// Get device location information
                   DWORD buffersize = 0;
                     LPTSTR buffer    = NULL;
                     while (!SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty(hDevInfo,  &deviceInfoData, SPDRP_LOCATION_INFORMATION, &dataT,
                                                                        (PBYTE)buffer, buffersize, &buffersize))
                     {
                         if (GetLastError() == ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER) {
                             // Change the buffer size.
                             if (buffer)
                                 LocalFree(buffer);
                             buffer = (LPTSTR)LocalAlloc(LPTR, buffersize);
                         }
                     }

printf("Data: %d: %s\n", i, buffer);
                    }
                    break;

Edited by gretty, 06 January 2013 - 02:35 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 NewDisplayName   Members   -  Reputation: 351

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

DIGCF_DEVICEINTERFACE won't work with a NULL Enumerator. It's also clearly mentioned on MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551069(v=vs.85).aspx

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS