• Create Account

Sprite Animation - SFML

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 mypel16000   Members   -  Reputation: 46

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have just finished the moving animation for my 2D game (viewed from above). It works perfectly apart from one small issue.

The code is written in a way that whenever a key is pressed ( sf::Event::keyIsPressed ) a bool variable is set to true and the animation gets going.

but whenever a key is released ( sf::Event::keyIsReleased ) it stops.

Now the problem isn't a bug or a coding mistake. Its just about the concept. Say I'm going forward and I want to turn left. What I do is that whilst I'm still holding the UP key I start pressing LEFT (nearly at the same time. I have tried it with friends and they do the same). The animation and movement then work fine for left. The problem is that when it's already moving I let the UP key go and the sf::event::keyisreleased is triggered and the animation stops.

How can I make the animation stop when no keys are being pressed, without coming across this issue?

Sponsor:

#2 stitchs   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1275

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hey,

It may not be an actual 'bug' in the code, if it is running and doing something however, trust me when I say it is a 'bug' if it is not doing what you expect. Could you please post the code relating to your movement method(s) and your event queue, or wherever the key-presses are handled? This will enable the community to assist in the best, most efficient way possible.

Regards,

Stitchs.

#3 Tim Cooper   Members   -  Reputation: 359

1Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

A little hazy on exactly how you're movement system works, but I'll take a shot :)

From what you've described, you could try changing the bool variable to a int (or adding a separate int) which keeps a tally of the number of active keys. Your animation could would just need to check for > 0 to be animating instead of the key press/release.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim Cooper - software developer, project manager and aspiring iPhone app developer.

Creative Shadows Ltd - My company website

iTunes Link - Doodlemate - Create animated gif's from your iPhone.

iTunes Link - Aeolus / Aeolus Lite - Land balloons in a simple, fun and slightly addictive game.

#4 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2566

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I assume you are checking for a specific key tied to the key release event, and only setting that key's bool.  Meaning, when you get the key release event, don't reset all the key's bool's, only the one for the key that was released.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

#5 lride   Members   -  Reputation: 633

2Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

To me your way should work because even though the animation stops when the up key is released, it should start again because the left key is being pressed.

But this is how I implemented SFML animation in my project

It's simple. Don't start the animation only if(sf::Event::keyIsPressed).   Start the animation always even though the key is not pressed and stop it later if key is not pressed

Below code is in the main loop

animation.start(); //Just start the animation
        if(sf::Keyboard::isKeyPressed(sf::Keyboard::Left))
        else if(sf::Keyboard::isKeyPressed(sf::Keyboard::Up))
        else if(sf::Keyboard::isKeyPressed(sf::Keyboard::Right))
        else if(sf::Keyboard::isKeyPressed(sf::Keyboard::Down))
        else
            animation.stop(); //   -Stop the animation when keys are not pressed

animation.update(dt); //   -Animation only gets updated when the animation has not been stopped

Edited by lride, 06 January 2013 - 12:25 PM.

An invisible text.

#6 mypel16000   Members   -  Reputation: 46

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

@stichs: I understand what you mean, but I was just looking for concept ideas. Not anything related to my code. @Tim cooper: Thank you, thats a good way to solve it @Iride: yours was the best explanation, thank you

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS