• Create Account

Mono,Tao,SDLSharp,XNA?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefirehawk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi guys

I am switching from C++ to C# and find the available API wrappers strangely confusing and I hope you can help me with the decisions.

My main worry is that I come out with a program that runs windows only and that's why I was looking at mono. There is a OpenGL binding for mono (Tao) but the last release seemed to be from 2005 (http://www.mono-project.com/Tao). Is there a more recent release or are there more up to date libraries? Are there any other useful libraries for mono?
I don't know, I have a hard time finding useful information anything mono related...

Just out of curiosity, there is monogame which I understood is the platform specific implementation of the XNA API, does monogame work well in reality?

Edited by Bluefirehawk, 10 January 2013 - 08:15 AM.

Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

Sponsor:

#2 Jutaris   Members   -  Reputation: 473

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've heard some generally positive things about Monogame though I've not used it myself. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Edited by Jutaris, 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

My Site -- My Music  -- My Ramblings -- My Game

Basic Flying Rules:Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

#3 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 703

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ive only ported one VERY SMALL XNA game from PC to Mac using MonoGame, but it worked perfectly, no code changes needed, solid 60 fps.

MonoGame basically re-implements almost all of the XNA classes that's why its so easy to port.

Many released games use monogame, look on their new website http://www.monogame.net/showcase

edit: Ive been looking closely at the project and their plans are for a solid 3D support on all platforms first (which is almost there I think) and then later development of a DirectX11 variant of MonoGame for windows desktop (which would be awesome biggrin.png).

Edited by Xanather, 10 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#4 Bluefirehawk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Alright, sounds like I am going to use XNA, whats about the OpenGL API? Tao seems awfully old.

#5 Nick Gravelyn   Members   -  Reputation: 846

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

If you want to go OpenGL use OpenTK. It's a generally solid wrapper, though you'll find it's much lower level than XNA.

#6 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1453

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes, OpenTK is pretty good, it wraps OpenGL, OpenAL (and some other Open* libraries).

MonoGame (Open-source XNA uses it underneath) and the best thing about it is that the OpenTK.dll will work on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc... without any recompiling. (It just loads in the correct native library such as libGL.so etc...).

Learning OpenTK is also useful because it is sufficiently close to it's native counter-parts that when you do decide to give C++ another chance, you will still be familiar with their APIs. Though, if the APIs are the reason why you are switching to C# in the first place, then you might not find OpenTK much easier afterall :S.

Edited by Karsten_, 10 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#7 Bluefirehawk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

It was the toolchains that frustrated the hell out of me (CMake and friends). I am actually very fond of C++ and the cool stuff they did with the 2011 standard. I definitely will have a look at OpenTK, thank you, I got all what I need.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS