Game Dev Kit

Started by
3 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 3 months ago

Is http://www.gamedevkit.com/get.php valid? Once I get my game code to a level where I'm ready to bring on some artists because I feel the game is actually going to get done, if I just get that kit and following everything it says is that enough for me to handle the business side of things, and will protect me against any issues that may come up?

It's not that expensive but once I get to a place where I think my game will actually see the light of day I want to make sure this isn't some kind of scam.

Advertisement
1. Is http://www.gamedevkit.com/get.php valid?

2. if I just get that kit and following everything it says is that enough for me to handle the business side of things,

3. and will protect me against any issues that may come up?

4. I want to make sure this isn't some kind of scam.

1. Absolutely, yes. Tom Buscaglia knows his stuff, and has helped a LOT of indie game developers.

2. Nothing is "enough." You should get it. It's a great head start.

3. Absolutely not. The world will constantly throw weirdass problems at you that the kit won't be a shield against. You'll still need to hire an attorney.

4. It is no scam.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't doubt that the guy behind it is legit, but is the kit really worth it?

Reading the description, it seems to cover the basics of:

- Copyrights (which you can learn about online),

- Forming your company (which you'll want a lawyer for anyway, even if you buy the kit)

- Has a bunch of canned legal contracts like NDAs and Contractor agreements (which is great! Are there other products online that offer the same quality contracts for less?)

- Has a bunch of links to websites ("other resources") which you can find online anyway.

Some of the example resource links are outdated. If the presentation of the website selling the product is outdated, how outdated are the contents of the kit? The website has a 2005 and a 2008 copyright notice, so the kit is at least seven years old, maybe more. Perhaps the resources in the kit were once hard to come by, and are now easier to find online?

Am I mistaken? Has anyone purchased it and can comment on its usefulness?

Servant, you're right. Many of the links are out of date. I should have updated those useful links years ago...but they change all the time. Frankly, I should probably just drop them completely. But hey, there's links to a bunch of my articles on my blog here - http://gameattorney.com/blog/?p=54 and some interesting blog posts as well. Maybe that will make up for my lax updating of that page.

The heart of the Kit is the Contributor Agreement. It is not like anything that I know of on the web as it was drafted by me specifically for game developers. It is way more that a simple "work for hire" agreement or "NDA." Actually, the NDA I have is available in one of my first three articles I did years ago and is still pretty much the same. But the Contributor Agreement is the real deal.

The Kit is not meant to be a substitute for a relationship with a lawyer. But it does provide significant information in a nice package for those not yet in a position to get a lawyer. The Contributor Agreement it probably the first contract anyone interested in starting a studio should have, unless they are doing all the assets themselves.

Oh yeah...the Game Dev Kit also comes with a free consult and a 20% discount on the first 10 hours of my time.

Tom B

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤

Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire

The Game Attorney

23133 Vashon Highway Sw

Vashon WA 98070

www.gameattorney.com

888-848-GLAW

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Mr Buscaglia.

What does the consultation contain, and how long is it? Can it occur over the internet or by phone if people aren't located in Washington state?

And what (if it's not confidential) is your normal hourly fee, so I know how much 20% (or 25%?) saves?

Not knowing how the legal world works, even though you have a degree to practice law in Washington, does that keep you from being hired (over the net) for advice and consultation from other states in the nation?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement