What coding do you do outside of video games?

Started by
21 comments, last by Psilobe 11 years, 2 months ago

I'd be interested in seeing what things excite people here other than game programming. I'm coming up on 2 years of programming an about 3 months, and other than console programming in the beginning I've never worked on anything but 2D games. I'm starting to get a bit bored, and I'd like to take a break, but I really have no idea where to go. What do you guys program when you're not making a game? Other than tools for your games, of course.

Advertisement

wow, i'm sitting here trying to think of a response, and honestly i can't think of anything that i've programmed that wasn't game related in some form.

i guess for me, all the applications i would write, are already out their, so i don't really need to make anything to improve the speed of doing some mundane task.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
I'm interested in compiler construction. I hand-rolled a lexer just for fun the other night and will probably hand-roll a parser to go with it at some point when I'm not preoccupied with something else.
When not at work programming games and tools, I enjoy working on low level nitty gritty stuff like porting and driver development on UNIX operating systems.

About two years ago I finished a project where I wrote a driver for FreeBSD to communicate (via RS-232) with a high pitched gas leak detecting safety device for oil-rigs.

The device itself was pretty awesome, it was in an old bomb-casing (to withstand high heat and pressure) and had loads of cylinders sticking out for each of the sensors. Making it look like a nuclear bomb of some sort :)

EDIT: Here it is, a picture. (The big orange thing)
http://www.groveley.co.uk/Detection-Products/ultrasonic-gas-detection.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
i guess for me, all the applications i would write, are already out their, so i don't really need to make anything to improve the speed of doing some mundane task

I agree with this, but I must say that last time I programmed something that wasn't game related was the program that prints out all of your IP data that you can get from ipconfig.exe in windows to file. And I to took around one hour or so.

My main side-project repos live here and here.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

My day job is in corporate IT, and I spend a fair bit of time coding things related to finance/statistics/analytics etc. Lots of SQL, MapReduce etc. Also, a fair chunk of coding at work is in some sense related to gluing systems together or shifting large volumes of data around.

i guess for me, all the applications i would write, are already out their, so i don't really need to make anything to improve the speed of doing some mundane task.

I actually find myself doing this from time to time. Either writing scripts to churn through some data / files to speed up a monotonous task, or writing desktop utilities for various things (organizing musical samples, managing desktop backgrounds etc).

I'm also interested in non-game simulation, and focused on scientific computation in my degree research project. I've coded toy projects in this area - like a gravitational solar system simulation which I thought would be interesting to play with.

I've written a bit of software pertaining to CNC machinery and some custom-built woodworking equipment I work with. Most programming outside of game development doesn't really interest me, but some of these projects have been fun.
I've written a bit of software pertaining to CNC machinery and some custom-built woodworking equipment I work with. Most programming outside of game development doesn't really interest me, but some of these projects have been fun.

That's actually quite awesome. But I guess I should expect that most people on this forum aren't interested in writing other types of applications too often.

I did some non game-related programming. For example a graphical CNC code (G code) editor for my first job, I have been developing a paper modeller software for a few years now (no progress on that side), small proof-of-concept demos.
Now, I'm programming an automated endurance test bench for my current job (instrument control, data acquisition and evaluation, some automatic report generation, fancy GUI) in Labview, and will get into some extra job for a CAD application (mainly the geometric/graphic stuff). I could do that in full time, but I rejected the job offer this time (maybe I'll enter the company later).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement