• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

What coding do you do outside of video games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#21 shadowomf   Members   -  Reputation: 315

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

most of them don't even have a GUI

Don't let yourself be fooled, that does not mean it's not interesting or useful.

Most of the stuff I work with are windows services, the only interaction with the are the management console or the log files, but still quite interesting stuff.

oftware for medical training with a database of questions and answers of common diseases

I believe actually creating the questions with possible answers is the hardest part and it can be really time consuming. But I wish you good luck.

Sponsor:

#22 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13912

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Everything I write has some relationship with games, but the least-related would be MHS.

If you are aiming to expand your horizons and pick up a project that helps you grow as a programmer, there couldn’t be a better type of project than this.

In writing this software, I had to write a hex editor, disassembler, assembler, C compiler, DLL injector, memory-searcher, code-searcher, hidden-process finder, a debugger, a kernel driver, and more.

Writing these kinds of things will give you a great understanding of what is happening under the hood, plus as a game-hacking utility it allows you to look under the hoods of other games and see how they do what they do as well.

My tool is an all-in-one, but you could pick just one of these features and enjoy an enriching learning experience.

In any case, you should pick something that lets you grow as a programmer while still being related to what interests you most (necessary to keep your enthusiasm).

Want to learn a new language?  Make an electronic dictionary.

Interested in space?  Make a star-charting system or something to predict where planets will be at any time in the future.

Still a fan of old-school games?  Make an emulator.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#23 Psilobe   Members   -  Reputation: 193

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I started coding to solve the problems found at project euler and I've written a simple chat program to learn networking. Simple encryption/decryption programs. I love data compression and written programs for doing this.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS