• Create Account

Your reaction to Crysis 3?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

#1 mrheisenberg   Members   -  Reputation: 356

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

at first I really thought they would just do the same as Crysis 2 - very low poly models,low res textures to compensate for the fancy lighting effects,but it seems that Crysis 3 is bringing the CryENGINE to it's full potential,I mean this stuff is incredible,at some points it's hard to believe this is real-time...

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3539

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

*shrug* Nice tech demo. Maybe someday someone will make a game with that engine. Nothing special about the graphics. It's standard issue stuff that targets top of the line hardware.

The Crysis games make me think of when Unreal was new. It was all about the engine, and nothing about the actual game content was good. Especially the first level of the game, which was set up as a series of rooms that were tech demos for engine features.

#3 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3728

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm all out of fcks to give for Crytek.

I'm sure they have some very talented programmers and artists but the whole "making a game" thing, and the kind of Company - Customer relationship they (don't) have going on, well, no thanks.

I'm looking forward to await pleasantly for other games from nicer developers instead of being dissapointed again and again.

Edited by TheChubu, 12 January 2013 - 04:06 AM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#4 mrheisenberg   Members   -  Reputation: 356

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

o_o I guess I can also add to the anti-crytek vibe:they bought a studio where I knew some guys(Black Sea Studios) that made the awesome(for its time) game Knights of Honor,but I lost touch a while ago and the studio hasn't made a game since...infact a Knights of Honor sequel was planned and it would have been epic...

P.S. imagine if you were Cevat(Crytek CEO) and you could lead the Crytek developers,I'd tell them to focus on character destruction and allow players to shoot bullet holes in each-other and bleed *dreams away*

Edited by mrheisenberg, 12 January 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#5 SymLinked   Members   -  Reputation: 822

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

o_o I guess I can also add to the anti-crytek vibe:they bought a studio where I knew some guys(Black Sea Studios) that made the awesome(for its time) game Knights of Honor,but I lost touch a while ago and the studio hasn't made a game since...infact a Knights of Honor sequel was planned and it would have been epic...

P.S. imagine if you were Cevat(Crytek CEO) and you could lead the Crytek developers,I'd tell them to focus on character destruction and allow players to shoot bullet holes in each-other and bleed *dreams away*

Shoot holes trough one another? Is that your definition of improved gameplay? Knights of Honor must have been great...

#6 shadowomf   Members   -  Reputation: 315

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I didn't like the art or gameplay style of Far Cry or any of the Crysis parts. Sure they always try to produce something technical advance, but that's all there is.

They don't offer a good story or great gameplay.

I don't even remember what happened in any part of it, I do remember tropical islands, mutant, koreans, ice as well as aliens. None of them where particular impressive. They try to do hightech but in the end, their worlds are sterile (a bit like one would describe the world of Portal directly after it was build).

And maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like the nano-suite. Is there anything else that is particullary innovative?

Sure unreal was also a strange mix of scifi, medival, industrial and alien elements. But somehow it impressed me more, I replayed it many times, something I never did with any crytek game.

Maybe it was because I was younger and crytek is just targetting other players than me.

#7 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8178

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Shoot holes trough one another? Is that your definition of improved gameplay? Knights of Honor must have been great...

Uhh, dense much? I think he means have a bullet that perforates one player, killing him (possibly triggering a slow and frustrating bleed-out death) while the bullet keeps going to hit another player or something else. Not really difficult to implement as a gameplay mechanic (how hard can it be) but the graphics part might be challenging.

Because shooting an electromagnetically propulsed bullet for it to be utterly stopped when it hits some dude's unarmored chest just doesn't cut it. Come on, we're not asking for an intricate simulation of the bullet's path through flesh and ribs, but some credibility! Plus you could line up awesome combos that way - good for stealth mechanics.

I mean, obviously you wouldn't do that for every weapon, that would be insane, but, for instance, the gauss rifle was really underwhelming in Crysis 1, at least to me. I was expecting a devastating weapon (that could even damage tanks and stuff) when I first picked it up, but it was just some underpowered sniper rifle.

I personally liked the nanosuit, because it's self-contained, but the energy mechanic is a bit crap, and kind of undermines the whole concept IMHO.

Edited by Bacterius, 12 January 2013 - 09:16 AM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#8 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5147

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I suppose I am one of the few who found the Crysis and Far Cry games actually quite fun to play.   I'm still on Far Cry 3 right now but playing through the game with just a bow has made for quite a challenge to maintain stealth.   I've actually been more disappointed by a lot of the other mega-budget AAA blockbusters by comparison (like the Modern Warfare games.. ugh).   Though I am more of a casual gamer who hops on single player to get my mind off of work.

#9 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17247

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I enjoyed Far Cry 1 - enough to beat it's excessively long and repetitive hours of gameplay at the end of the game, and Far Cry 2 - I put in about 15 before I got bored, but it was a great 15 hours and totally worth the purchase.

I didn't particularly like Crysis 1 - I just couldn't get into it. The controls felt wonky, but that was because I'm not used to (modern day) over-the-shoulder camera controls.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#10 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I suppose I am one of the few who found the Crysis and Far Cry games actually quite fun to play.   I'm still on Far Cry 3 right now but playing through the game with just a bow has made for quite a challenge to maintain stealth.   I've actually been more disappointed by a lot of the other mega-budget AAA blockbusters by comparison (like the Modern Warfare games.. ugh).   Though I am more of a casual gamer who hops on single player to get my mind off of work.

I didn't finish either of the Crysis games, but I've played all of the Far Cry games to completion. I enjoy them much more than the rails shooters that most modern FPS have become.

#11 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Far Cry 2 and 3 are developed by UbiSoft Montreal, not Crytek.

#12 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1640

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

That looks amazing. I can't wait to pick this up. I was a huge fan of Crysis 1 and 2.

#13 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2099

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

These kinds of AAA FPS games looks so over-darkened to me, as if there wasn't enough ambient light. It doesn't look realisitic, instead I can1t really see what's going on. Okay, maybe there are settings for that, but why are demos made this dark?

Obviously stupid questions, the last AAA FPS I played was CoD 2, and it looked quite right in that regard. But these demos, not something that I can enjoy looking at.

Edited by szecs, 13 January 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#14 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3728

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well, you could compensate by walking by the beach on Far Cry 3. It may damage your eyes permanently though. 

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#15 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12300

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

The only thing CryTech means to me is ego.
When Luminous Engine and Unreal Engine 4 came out CryTech went out of their way to trash-talk them. “We are the only engine that blah blah blah’s.”

Jerks. Seriously.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#16 mrheisenberg   Members   -  Reputation: 356

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

btw if you check out their SDK,EVERYTHING in the headers is named Cry###,its CryDev,CryString,CryMath,CryPhysics uhm...I guess they got obsessed with the engine itself instead of the game,even in the game it's CryNet,CryLab,CryEverything o_o

Edited by mrheisenberg, 13 January 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#17 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2501

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

btw if you check out their SDK,EVERYTHING in the headers is named Cry###,its CryDev,CryString,CryMath,CryPhysics uhm...I guess they got obsessed with the engine itself instead of the game,even in the game it's CryNet,CryLab,CryEverything o_o

Brand identity.

Also, maybe their compiler doesn't support namespaces. biggrin.png

#18 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I don't think that's that crazy. A lot of the engine's I've worked with have engine specific prefixes in some form or fashion.

#19 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6801

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I don't think that's that crazy. A lot of the engine's I've worked with have engine specific prefixes in some form or fashion.

Indeed, although sometimes the meaning is legacy; all of our prefixes are 'Ne' (so "NeGfx" for the graphics layer) which would have come from 'Neon' (the original engine name) instead of Ego (the current engine name) :D

#20 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17247

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Sometimes the pseudo-namespaces are also for compatibility with 'C' language.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS