• Create Account

Game/ Simulation Industry Terminology - Online Reference

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3107

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have links to webpages about game development terms?  I searched online but yet to find them in one site.

Specifically, what are common synonyms of "bug-fix" which would look better for development documentation such as outlines that one would use in the industry? Is there a most common used equivalent?

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 13 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Sponsor:

#2 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1532

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Here is a pretty big glossary:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm

The word "bug" is pretty standard, maybe someone uses "error correction" or something similar instead but for the most part....yeah...just say bug.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9185

1Likes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

what are common synonyms of "bug-fix" which would look better for development documentation such as outlines that one would use in the industry? Is there a most common used equivalent?

I have often said "bug fix" but I'd need to see it in context (used in a sentence).

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14672

1Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Everyone in the industry I know refers to it as "bug fixing." IMHO using a different term would probably make your communication less clear, not more.

#5 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9763

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

maybe someone uses "error correction" or something similar

The phrase 'error correction' to me implies something along the lines of error correcting codes (i.e. information theory, not software development).

'Bug fix' is definitely the most common phrase. I'd shy away from anything more obscure.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS