• Create Account

Textures

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

#1 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

I need to impose a specific texture on the triangle primitives.

So, I have a texture file: 256colour3.png

And I have a list of triangle primitives. I build a surface of these triangles. Each of triangle point contain data:

1) position

2) texture coordinate 

Depands of texture coordinate on each point, I want to make color transition on the surface, like this:Capture1234.PNG

But, using this shader

Texture ColorTexture;

sampler ColorTextureSampler = 
sampler_state 
{ 
texture = <ColorTexture> ; 
magfilter = NONE; 
minfilter = NONE; 
mipfilter = NONE; 
AddressU = wrap; 
AddressV = wrap; 
};

struct VertexShaderInput
{
    float4 Position : POSITION;
    float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0;
};

struct VertexShaderOutput 
{
};

float4x4 worldViewProj;

VertexShaderOutput VertexShaderFunction(VertexShaderInput input)
{
	VertexShaderOutput output = (VertexShaderOutput)0;

output.Position = mul(input.Position, worldViewProj);
	output.texCoord = input.texCoord;

return output;
}

float4 PixelShaderFunction(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{	
	return tex1D( ColorTextureSampler, input.texCoord.x);
}

technique Technique1
{
    pass Pass1
    {
	VertexShader = compile vs_2_0 VertexShaderFunction();
        PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 PixelShaderFunction();
    }
}

I receive this: Capture1236.PNG

So, how should I modificate shader to receive such kind of color transition? Or, maybe, I should modificate texture file?

Sponsor:

#2 Zaoshi Kaba   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3855

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Pixel Shader and Texture are fine, your UV coordinates are wrong though.

#3 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3301

1Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

how well is that plane subdivided?, the problem is that you can't get the output you want if your using 2 triangles per quad(and it looks like 9 quads), since the pixel shader linearly interpolates the uv values being passed in from the vertex's, this means you need to at least have the number of vertices equal to the number of data points, and then it has to be arranged to look like the quad, which could be very complex.

it might be better to actually take your pallete and build a 2D texture surface from your data points(and interpolate those data points yourself), then simply render that onto a quad.

edit: this might be possible in a compute or geometry shader though, but i don't believe you could achieve this easily with just vertex/pixel shader(although i'd love to see if someone does have a good solution).

Edited by slicer4ever, 14 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7564

1Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

This is actually possible but you'd need a second texture, which would be a greyscale representation of the pattern you want.  You do a standard tex2D lookup on that texture, then feed the result of that into your tex1D lookup to get the final colour.

Of course, by then you already have the pattern in a texture anyway so you may as well go all the way and put in the full RGB version, unless you have any specific reason not to (e.g. you want to swap out the RGB palette at runtime).

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 PhillipHamlyn   Members   -  Reputation: 454

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Unless the sampling of the UV coord can be modified in the Pixel Shader (or VS) using a formulae of some kind, I dont think it can be done.

#6 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1539

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'd also say that the 1d texture and .x in the pixel shader is 'strange' (though probably on purpose). Did you try it out as tex2d? You probably also need to look up the information of a specific uv depending on the pos on your plane (in the vertexshader and pass through the corresponding uv texcoord to the ps)

#7 Alin   Members   -  Reputation: 391

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

It seems like one vertex shared by two faces has different uv coordinates, so you cannot get a smooth face.

#8 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

how well is that plane subdivided?, the problem is that you can't get the output you want if your using 2 triangles per quad(and it looks like 9 quads), since the pixel shader linearly interpolates the uv values being passed in from the vertex's, this means you need to at least have the number of vertices equal to the number of data points, and then it has to be arranged to look like the quad, which could be very complex.

it might be better to actually take your pallete and build a 2D texture surface from your data points(and interpolate those data points yourself), then simply render that onto a quad.

edit: this might be possible in a compute or geometry shader though, but i don't believe you could achieve this easily with just vertex/pixel shader(although i'd love to see if someone does have a good solution).

You are right, here is 9 quads = 18 triangles = 16 points (data points). Each point has a texture coordinate. Number of vertices are equal to the number of data points since vertice IS a data point. Sorry, if I confused you. Each vertice contain coordinate and texture coordinate.

About 2D texture, not sure how it would help since my palette consists of vertical lines and V (y) coordinate is no needed (at the moment). 

To my mind the problem is that textures are imposing on the separate element, not on all surface. But I may be wrong.

This is actually possible but you'd need a second texture, which would be a greyscale representation of the pattern you want.  You do a standard tex2D lookup on that texture, then feed the result of that into your tex1D lookup to get the final colour.

Of course, by then you already have the pattern in a texture anyway so you may as well go all the way and put in the full RGB version, unless you have any specific reason not to (e.g. you want to swap out the RGB palette at runtime).

This is not the final surface, it can be changed. I need the universal solution, which can be implemented to any surface. As I understand, pattern will be sutable on for this surface. Changing of surface will require changing of pattern, or am I wrong? 

#9 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3301

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

i don't think you quite understand(or we don't quite understand what you want to accomplish?)

You are right, here is 9 quads = 18 triangles = 16 points (data points). Each point has a texture coordinate. Number of vertices are equal to the number of data points since vertice IS a data point. Sorry, if I confused you. Each vertice contain coordinate and texture coordinate.

About 2D texture, not sure how it would help since my palette consists of vertical lines and V (y) coordinate is no needed (at the moment). 

To my mind the problem is that textures are imposing on the separate element, not on all surface. But I may be wrong.

I don't think you quite understand how the vertex->pixel shader works, yes you have 16 data/vertex points, and could even pass in the data that your trying to interpolate across those vertices, however the problem is how the vertex shader get's translated to the pixel shader. it is always going to be done in a perfectly linear system, your sample image does not move across the triangle perfectly linearly, if you could control the pixel shader translation's across the surface you could apply w/e formula you use to do this, but at the moment, with strictly vertex/pixel shader, and as far as i know(and i may be wrong, which would be pretty cool to learn), you can't control how the pixel shader translates that data.

this is why we suggest you construct a 2D pallete of those data points translated across your 2D surface, and then render this, which can be done on initialization, or even when their's a change in data points.  with modern computer's you probably won't even notice a slow-down when doing this in real-time(but not every frame, just on every change, although you might still get smooth results with every frame, i would not recommend doing that at all.)

for example, let's forget about it as a triangle, and think of it as just a straight line, looking at your image, let's take the bottom 2 vertice's on the left side, now then for simplicity sake let's look at this as if it's only along a single axis(let's say x):

the first vertex has a position at: 0 x, the uv is set to 0 as well.

the second vertex has a position at: 1 x, and the uv is set to 1.

so, the pixel shader sees their are 50 pixels between those 2 points, so each pixel get's this for it's input:

position = v0.x+(v1.x-v0.x)/50

uv = v0.u + (v1.u-v0.u)/50

see how their's no room for creating a system which isn't perfectly linear(and as you can see in your sample image, the color's along that bottom left line are not equal parts from each other).

I hope this explanation helps you better understand your problem.

Edited by slicer4ever, 15 January 2013 - 02:34 AM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#10 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

I realy do not completely understand what should I do and it is my fault. I do not have enough knowledge and expirience for even understand all you are telling me. Sorry for that.

So, I modificated my shader for using 2 textures for lookup. 

Texture ColorTexture;

sampler ColorTextureSampler = 
sampler_state 
{ 
texture = <ColorTexture> ; 
magfilter = NONE; 
minfilter = NONE; 
mipfilter = NONE; 
AddressU = wrap; 
AddressV = wrap; 
};

Texture AcrossTexture;

sampler AcrossTextureSampler = 
sampler_state 
{ 
texture = <AcrossTexture> ; 
magfilter = NONE; 
minfilter = NONE; 
mipfilter = NONE; 
AddressU = wrap; 
AddressV = wrap; 
};

struct VertexShaderInput
{
};

struct VertexShaderOutput 
{
};

float4x4 worldViewProj;

VertexShaderOutput VertexShaderFunction(VertexShaderInput input)
{
	VertexShaderOutput output = (VertexShaderOutput)0;

output.Position = mul(input.Position, worldViewProj);
	output.texCoord = input.texCoord;

return output;
}

float4 PixelShaderFunction(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{	
	float4 TextureColor = tex2D(AcrossTextureSampler, input.texCoord);	
	float f = TextureColor.r;
	return tex1D(ColorTextureSampler, f );
}

technique Technique1
{
    pass Pass1
    {
        VertexShader = compile vs_2_0 VertexShaderFunction();
        PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 PixelShaderFunction();
    }
}
Texture tex1 = Texture.FromFile(d3dDevice, "vertical.png");
Texture tex2 = Texture.FromFile(d3dDevice, "across.png");//, 100, 132, 1, Usage.None, Format.L8, Pool.Default, Filter.None, Filter.None, 1);  // L8 - grayscale format, but using this advanced options gives strange resylts  
            effect.SetTexture("ColorTexture", tex1);
            effect.SetTexture("AcrossTexture", tex2);

//vertices
for (int j = 0; j < list.Count; j++)
                {
                    points.Add(new Vertex()
                    {
                        Coord = new Vector2(0, SomeTextureCoordinate),
                        Position = new Vector3(list[j].X, list[j].Y, list[j].Z),
                    });
                }

AcrossTexture: across.png

ColorTexture: 256colour2.png

Result: C.PNG  

#11 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3301

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

That's not how we mean for using a second texture.  what you did was just rotate the texture.

no, what we are saying is this:

from my understanding, you want to create some unique result from a set of data inputs.

so, you have to have some function for figuring out what color should be at what pixel.

so, if you know the size of the texture when it's rendered, do something like this:

//psedo- c code:
  char *Texels = new char[TexWidth*TexHeight];.
  for(int x=0;x<TexWidth;x++){
   for(int y=0;y<TexHeight;y++){
     int ColorLookup = YourFormulaForLookingUpTheColorAtASepeceficPoint(x, y);
    Texel[x+y*TexWidth] = Pallete[ColorLookup]; //Pallete is assumed to be your 1D array texture
   }
 }
 //Upload this newly created texture, and draw a single quad with only that texture, and use just a pass-through shader(essentially a shader that emulates a fixed-function pipeline texturing)

essentially what your doing is creating the texture of your sample image on the cpu side, then just drawing that texture.

#12 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

That's not how we mean for using a second texture.  what you did was just rotate the texture.

no, what we are saying is this:

from my understanding, you want to create some unique result from a set of data inputs.

so, you have to have some function for figuring out what color should be at what pixel.

so, if you know the size of the texture when it's rendered, do something like this:

//psedo- c code:
  char *Texels = new char[TexWidth*TexHeight];.
  for(int x=0;x<TexWidth;x++){
   for(int y=0;y<TexHeight;y++){
     int ColorLookup = YourFormulaForLookingUpTheColorAtASepeceficPoint(x, y);
    Texel[x+y*TexWidth] = Pallete[ColorLookup]; //Pallete is assumed to be your 1D array texture
   }
 }
 //Upload this newly created texture, and draw a single quad with only that texture, and use just a pass-through shader(essentially a shader that emulates a fixed-function pipeline texturing)

essentially what your doing is creating the texture of your sample image on the cpu side, then just drawing that texture.

More information about my task:

X         Y           Z              value         

-0.095   0.095     0.695           864
   -0.095   0.0475   0.695           963
   -0.095   0            0.695           963
   -0.095   -0.0475  0.695           321
.... and so on,
 can have unlimited count of such points. 

I must draw surface from these points and make color transition respectively to value on each point (as in picture at the beginning of this topic above).
The surface may be changed, so I'm searching for a universal method to resolve this problem. 
I wrote a little, which calculates texCoords respectively to the value on point. It returns me value [0,1] for each point which I'm using as texCoord. 

Now I'm trying to implement your suggestion... Hope it will do the trick, but I need some time to do it...

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3301

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

i think i understand what your doing, the key point here is what is the function you use to map your data points to your pallete?

for example, if i said, give me the pallete to use at x = 0, y = 0(using your data set from your sample, and in your sample is red), then what is your code for figuring out to choose red?

#14 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

i think i understand what your doing, the key point here is what is the function you use to map your data points to your pallete?

for example, if i said, give me the pallete to use at x = 0, y = 0(using your data set from your sample, and in your sample is red), then what is your code for figuring out to choose red?
I'm just finding min and max value (on points) and splitting the range on 12 levels (12 colors in palette)
float step = (Math.Abs(min) + Math.Abs(max)) / 12;
and then I just calculate in what period input value belongs to:
if ((val >= levels[0]) && (val < levels[1]))            {                return 0.082f;            }            if ((val >= levels[1]) && (val < levels[2]))            {                return 0.164f;            }
And return float value, which apply to the texture above. For example 0-0.083 in my texture is blue and 9.8-9.999 is red. I'm using this returned values as coordinated of my texture.

EDIT: Tryed to implement your function. Created new texture, BUT: have no idea how to calculate "YourFormulaForLookingUpTheColorAtASepeceficPoint(x, y);". I have 4 points on element, for example I'm creating 24x24 texture. How can I choose color for 576 inner texels, when I know only 4 of them?

Edited by Yura, 16 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#15 phil_t   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3222

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

EDIT: Tryed to implement your function. Created new texture, BUT: have no idea how to calculate "YourFormulaForLookingUpTheColorAtASepeceficPoint(x, y);". I have 4 points on element, for example I'm creating 24x24 texture. How can I choose color for 576 inner texels, when I know only 4 of them?

You interpolate between them, using some function you define. There is no "right answer". You need to figure out how you want to interpolate between them. It could be a weighted average of all the points, with a weight inversely proportional to the distance to the current point, for instance.

#16 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3301

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm just finding min and max value (on points) and splitting the range on 12 levels (12 colors in palette)
if ((val >= levels[0]) && (val < levels[1]))            {                return 0.082f;            }            if ((val >= levels[1]) && (val < levels[2]))            {                return 0.164f;            }
And return float value, which apply to the texture above. For example 0-0.083 in my texture is blue and 9.8-9.999 is red. I'm using this returned values as coordinated of my texture.

sorry for the late reply, but i have to ask, how did you create that sample image?, how did you choose what pixel was what color?, when you can answer that question, you can do this.  otherwise i'm not really certain what your expected to be able to do from the beginning of this thread.

obviously you have some points of data that mean something to you, but you seem to be avoiding how those points are to be used to actually create the representation you want.

#17 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

sorry for the late reply, but i have to ask, how did you create that sample image?, how did you choose what pixel was what color?, when you can answer that question, you can do this.  otherwise i'm not really certain what your expected to be able to do from the beginning of this thread.

obviously you have some points of data that mean something to you, but you seem to be avoiding how those points are to be used to actually create the representation you want.

The sample image wasn't created by me. It is a sample of work of readymade program. I don't know how does it works, I just made this sample for you to explain what I want to achieve. Those points of data are pressure: X, Y, Z coordinates and PRESSURE. The surface is subjected to pressure. Where the pressure is greater surface tends to red, lower - to blue.

#18 EWClay   Members   -  Reputation: 659

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

As a couple of people have said already, it looks like the problem is with the vertices.

If you were sharing vertices between quads, the colours would match across the boundary.

Doesn't matter what shader or textures you use if the vertex data is wrong, so try to fix that first.

#19 Yura   Members   -  Reputation: 263

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

As a couple of people have said already, it looks like the problem is with the vertices.

If you were sharing vertices between quads, the colours would match across the boundary.

Doesn't matter what shader or textures you use if the vertex data is wrong, so try to fix that first.

Yes, I'm sharing vertices between quads, but what the problem? For example:

0.9 ______ 0.5    -- texCoords on each point

|          |

|          |

0.2 |_____| 0.3____ 0.1

|          |              |

|          |              |

0.4 |_____| 0.9____| 0.3        

#20 eppo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2337

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

How about you recreate the entire texture as a lookup table in the pixel shader and then sample it like this: out.color = colors[round(texCoords.x * 11)]?

const float3 colors[] = {

float3(0.f, 0.f, .5f),
   float3(0.f, .23f, .73f),
   float3(0.f, .45f, .95f),
   float3(0.f, .68f, 1.f),

float3(0.f, .9f, 1.f),
   float3(0.f, 1.f, .73f),
   float3(0.f, 1.f, .27f),
   float3(.23f, 1.f, 0.f),

float3(.63f, 1.f, 0.f),
   float3(1.f, .91f, 0.f),
   float3(1.f, .45f, 0.f),
   float3(.93f, .11f, .14f),
}

Edited by eppo, 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS