• Create Account

Triangle "Budget" for Terrain

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhillipHamlyn   Members   -  Reputation: 454

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have a general rule for the number of triangles they'd budget on for a terrain, after frustum culling has taken place ? I've got a tiled LOD system, and before I start optimising I'd like a steer on what people tend to aim at. My optimisation steps will be based on measurement-change-remeasure, but I dont want to strive for a high level of geometry if most people aim for (for instance) 50k triangles, and dont see a need to optimise beyond that to achieve a higher triangle count.

Thanks

Phillip

Sponsor:

#2 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9991

2Likes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Effective texture resolution is often just as important as geometry detail (especially when using normal mapping). I generally try to aim for ~2 texels per pixel (or more, if multisampling is enabled).

As for geometry, the primary goal is to provide smooth silhouettes (since normal mapping doesn't help there). Ideally, you want ~1 vertex per pixel near silhouette edges, and can get away with drastically less everywhere else.

If you are using tessellation + displacement mapping this can be very simple/fast - you keep a fairly low-resolution control grid around, and use that to dynamically increase tessellation for just the silhouette.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#3 PhillipHamlyn   Members   -  Reputation: 454

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Effective texture resolution is often just as important as geometry detail (especially when using normal mapping). I generally try to aim for ~2 texels per pixel (or more, if multisampling is enabled).

As for geometry, the primary goal is to provide smooth silhouettes (since normal mapping doesn't help there). Ideally, you want ~1 vertex per pixel near silhouette edges, and can get away with drastically less everywhere else.

If you are using tessellation + displacement mapping this can be very simple/fast - you keep a fairly low-resolution control grid around, and use that to dynamically increase tessellation for just the silhouette.

Thanks swiftcoder. I'll try increasing my texture realism and already use bump mapping so I might get  a suprisingly good result from the approach you advise.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS