• Create Account

Keyboard rage

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 15698

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Lately I've been wanting to set my keyboard on fire.

I type pretty fast - a natural side effect of having whiled away a lot of hours in front of a computer - but the keyboard I use at work can't cope.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software problem, but when I start typing full speed, the keyboard just stops registering about a third of the keys I press. The easiest way to reproduce the problem is to hit Backspace about 10 times as fast as I can; maybe 6 of the hits will actually register on the computer.

Is this because my keyboard is a cheap piece of crap, or is it some kind of OS stupidity? I've fiddled around with all the key repeat/key delay options in Windows to no avail. Haven't checked the BIOS yet but if this gets any worse I'll happily reboot a few times to get it sorted.

TL;DR I'm faster than my keyboard and getting really pissed off at it.

Sponsor:

#2 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

What type of keyboard is it? Could it be a problem of key reset distance, or limites based on number of "simultaneous" keys pressed?

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19541

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have a cheap $10 keyboard and don't experience this problem - maybe there is some software scanning keypresses for hotkeys in the background, and the software is laggy?

Try seeing if there is a better keyboard driver available. Maybe your keyboard has a custom driver, and the driver is poorly written.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like a crappy keyboard... Does it have soft, spongy keys? Maybe it's just got bad contacts?

#5 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13577

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Is this a keyboard you have had for a long time?  Did it just start happening suddenly or slowly?

You can test whether it is a software issue easily by just borrowing your friend’s keyboard for a day (agree to swap for 1 day with a warning that he or she will be frustrated during that time).

If you have it fine and he or she has it rough you know where to look.

If it is a hardware problem, take apart the keyboard and clean it.  Get all of the crap that has built up over time out of there and wipe the rest down with a cleaning spray of your choice.

If that doesn’t fix it then nothing will and it is time for either a new keyboard or a call to MacGyver.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#6 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4302

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have this problem on wireless keyboards (programmer's burst typing rate can easily overwhelm wireless keyboard transfer rates).

I had to go back to buying wired ones, on which I've never had the problem.

#7 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1747

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Haven't checked the BIOS yet but if this gets any worse I'll happily reboot a few times to get it sorted.

This is not going to help because modern OSes completely ignore the BIOS settings at all, they just handle keyboard speed on their own (in fact this is needed in order to be able to set the keyboard speed from within the OS itself). Unless you're running DOS, that is.

...wait, is there any BIOS that lets you change the default keyboard speed?

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#8 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have this problem on wireless keyboards (programmer's burst typing rate can easily overwhelm wireless keyboard transfer rates).

I had to go back to buying wired ones, on which I've never had the problem.

Wireless keyboards are completely useless for me. I have not found a single one that didn't consistently drop key presses.

#9 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 15698

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I dated myself with the BIOS thing. Back in the day you could control things like keyrepeat suppression via the BIOS. I think one of my relatively less-ancient laptops still allows this.

Updating drivers didn't help noticeably.

I think I might just bring in a known-good keyboard tomorrow and see if it helps...

#10 game of thought   Members   -  Reputation: 212

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I found my keyboard in a bin and the keys work perfectly save ctrl

Good luck with the bios

#11 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I have this keyboard and freaking love it (bought one on my own dime for work, and another for home): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750/dp/B004MF11MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358370111&sr=8-1&keywords=k750

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#12 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2016

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Mechanical keyboard, I say. 

Everything is better with Metal.

#13 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1346

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Got imba APM and skills? Get a better controller! ;)

#14 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3156

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

Old or new keyboards work well in old or late model computers - just a fact.  

1)  Try other keyboards with the same computer:

If the problem persists with another keyboard then the likely issue is a system driver. If you ever have a keyboard problem like this, then you should immediately plug another keyboard into your rig for testing.  If the problem persists with the next keyboard, then it is not the keyboard, but a hardware device interface driver problem, so your computer needs a driver update or reinstallation. 

2) Plug the suspect keyboard into other computers:

A way to see if it is an operating system which is causing this is to take the problem keyboard to the same OS on another computer in the same office and several other OS versions as well. If you have the same problem only with the same OS version, then you know it is the OS at fault.  If the problem continues on varies versions of the OS, then it likely indicates a faulty keyboard driver.  

3) Problem only occurs with this keyboard and this computer:

Keyboard manufacturers offer driver updates and sometimes bug-fixes which are worth downloading and applying, but simply plugging the keyboard into several other computers to test it is the quickest way to determine if the problem originates in your computer.   Sometimes an OS update and/or a computer manufacturer update will solve the problem.

4) Nothing seems to fix the problem:

If the problem continues after OS, computer manufacturer, and keyboard manufacturer drivers are downloaded and installed, then the physical keyboard is at fault.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#15 Bubsy   Members   -  Reputation: 407

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's an USB keyboard ? If so, have you attached a new peripheral lately ? AFAIK the usb bus is shared between all attached peripherals so it could be a timing issue between them (just a guess).

#16 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

The solution to any keyboard woes is to buy this keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750/dp/B004MF11MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369330691&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+solar+keyboard

I bought one for home. I loved it so much, I bought one on my own dime for work. Now every desk in the office has one. It's wireless, and I've never had a single hiccup, even with dozens of closeby identical wireless keyboards. And no batteries to replace, since it charges based on ambient light much faster than it uses power. The key action is nice, with a good tactile click, but it isn't too loud. It's got a full number pad, and the insert/home/delete/etc. keys are all in the correct layout. On longevity, I'm not sure, but I type all day at work on one that's now about two years old, and it shows no signs of wear except that the keys I use most (especially spacebar) are completely smooth now (they come very mildly textured). There's even a Mac layout version, if you're into that.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#17 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 15698

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ancient thread is ancient...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS