• Create Account

xml changes but results do not ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 the dodger uk   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

hi , 

i am working on a project that some one has given me in visual studio, some of the data is in a xml file which it uses to initlise part of the main program.

i have changed some of the xml and it looks like there is no difference to the  program once its run.

i definitely know it uses the xml , but the changes i make not seam to change it ,  

am i saving the xml file wrong,  it just looks like its not taking into effect the changes , or does it keep  it somewere stored ?

Sponsor:

#2 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14295

2Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Why don't you try stepping through the code to see what it's doing with the XML file?

#3 Dan Mayor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1712

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

You will need to provide some more information for any kind of educated answer to this.  At first thoughts if making changes to the XML are not creating the desired effects you might want to look into coded factors that may override the XML, or in the case that you possibly broke the XML look at the possible fallback or default values.  Beyond that best any of us can do is offer very vague answers like "Step through your code and figure it out" or "Learn to debug".  (No offense intended Apoch, I agree).

I can however elaborate a bit and stepping through code.  In visual studio (and I'm sure all high end IDE's) you can set break points in the code and launch in the debugger.  In visual studio this is normally just a case of clicking in the left margin (there should be line numbers over there depending on your settings).  This should cause a red or yellow icon to appear.  When you click the play button it will compile and launch the program in the debugger.  When the debugger reaches that line of the code it will stop BEFORE executing that line of code.  So what we're suggesting is that you go into the method that loads the settings from the XML file and place some break points.  Once you run the program (and it stops on a line) you can simply hover over variables and see what their values are.  Use this process to ensure you are loading the correct file and that the program is getting the correct values.  From the sounds of things you will most likely have a eureka moment while doing this in that you will immediately notice (Or I edited the wrong file) or (oh I broke the XML and it's getting a null value which is causing it to use the default setting) or something along these lines.

Digivance Game Studios Founder:

Dan Mayor - Dan@Digivance.com
 www.Digivance.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS