Problem with game components

Started by
3 comments, last by kazisami 11 years, 3 months ago

Recently I came across the idea of creating games using Components.

I searched and found this and read some gamedev posts.

What i understood is, there is a abstract GameObject class, which is basically the Component container. Every object in the game will inherit from just this class and implement its pure virtual Update() function. They can also add necessary components.

We also have a abstract Component class, every component inherits from it and implements its pure virtual Update() method. This method is called inside the GameObjects's Update() method?

First Qus: Am I right about what I said above? If wrong, where am I wrong?

Second Qus: Is there another way to do this? A better way?

After that, the components need to talk with each other, and the best way to do this is to use a messaging system.

Third Qus: But if the game is large enough, won't there be thousands of message types?

Fouth Qus: Let's say, we have a physics component, is it necessary that this component has to be same for all GameObjects? I mean the same class with same data and functionality?

Fifth Qus: Can GameObject's change component behaviour or attribute?

Sixth Qus: If the physics component is unique(or you can say that the ans of 4th qus is yes), then if i want some GameObject to have the gravity of 9.8 and others of 4.9, how can i accomplish that?

Thanks in advance.

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

Advertisement
In brief, entity/component systems exhibit aggregation rather than inheritance, so each entity in the game world is a container that can contain various components. Update methods, if that's how you wanted to do it, would then be called on the entity and the entity might then work through each of its components to determine which ones are 'updatable' and call them.

In my system, for example, I have game entities (characters, cameras, etc) and a character would have a mesh component (or meshholder for multiple meshes), a skeleton component, an animator component, an orientation component, a render component (this just returns 'render tokens' that ultimately get send to the renderer), etc.

Don't have much time to write more but I'm sure others will add. I've found it to be incredibly easy to use/extend, etc. There are tonnes of good sites with info on this too, starting right here on gamedev

You do not have to use messages, there are also other ways to acces data in other components.

You could check out unity to see how the general interface could look like.

That article does a good job of explaining how you can use components to build an entity, but it's not the best way to go about implementing it. It is following the old "Component contains data and logic", whereas many systems now follow the "Component contains data only, Systems perform logic on the components"

I would suggest checking out this site: Click Here and look at the articles linked, as well as the systems. You can also check out my Dev Journal (linked in my Signature) as I have implemented both methods of Components (the 1st one with message passing between components, the second with Systems acting on components or entities).

Good Luck.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

That article does a good job of explaining how you can use components to build an entity, but it's not the best way to go about implementing it. It is following the old "Component contains data and logic", whereas many systems now follow the "Component contains data only, Systems perform logic on the components"

I would suggest checking out this site: Click Here and look at the articles linked, as well as the systems. You can also check out my Dev Journal (linked in my Signature) as I have implemented both methods of Components (the 1st one with message passing between components, the second with Systems acting on components or entities).

Good Luck.

Thank you very much, excellent resources smile.png

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement