• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Constructive Criticism On My Track

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 CRFaithMusic   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1042

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been trying to put together a new demo reel and this track will probably be the first thing in the demo reel. There's no real background to the music i.e. not for a game or anything. I was just writing for fun. So let me know what you think, what's good and bad and if you think I should use it in my demo reel. I'm looking for advice mainly.

Also it is only short because it will be on the demo reel.

Here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/caleb-faith/demo-reel-track-1

Thanks,

Caleb Faith

Sponsor:

#2 dakota.potts   Members   -  Reputation: 455

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Cool and very well done. However, I can't help but feel it's the same thing I've heard before in movie trailers, commercials, and video games. If that's the style you're going for, you did a great job. Otherwise I would suggest you experiment a little bit to break away from what's become "standard", and come up with something unique to you

#3 CRFaithMusic   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1042

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the input Dakota :) I really appreciate it.

I can see what you mean about it being quite 'standard' however this is what I was aiming for at the time and it was a lot of fun to compose.

Is there anyone else with any input? because it helps a lot

#4 Kristoff K.   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I agree with dakota.potts. Sounds quite decent, but standard.

Technically-wise, I'd improve those drums. For instance, those timpani - they need more presence. Also those high freq drums(?) could benefit from a moderate boost in the middle registers.

I don't know what libraries you were using for the orchestration, but the lead instruments sound a bit too artificial. I advice you to experiment with keyswitching the articulations.

I see no problems in terms of composition or mixdown, Apart from those things I just mentioned, everything sounds tight, crunchy and generally enjoyable.

Keep up the good work!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS