I have been doing the same thing in and out for the past 5 years and I tinker here and there with game programming and various things but cannot find any projects within grasp that are compelling. I love creating things and I love working on a game/engine but it will take forever with only me putting in time here and there. Is anyone working on any projects that will be challenging but have a reasonable time frame while doing something worthwhile?
Lack of reasonable ideas
Crossbones+ - Reputation: 1159
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:35 AM
I think this is in the wrong section - maybe should be classifieds, or the lounge?
But in any case, giving some details about your skills - e.g. what languages you can use or are comfortable with, what graphics API (opengl, dx) or what engine (unity, ogre3d..) do you have experience with - is a good idea. Some info on what kind of commitment, in terms of time, you can give (e.g. I have a fulltime job, so I can only do 20hrs a week on hobby projects) may also help.
Members - Reputation: 509
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:49 AM
Probably but I was trying to generalize it to be programming related.
I was keeping it in general ill figure out the details once I have an idea of what to do but my actual work is with php and mysql but my current attempt at a game/engine is in c++/opengl with limited directx for xbox 360. I call that real programming and thats what I love getting down to the basics. I know quite a bit and have plenty of time to learn thats actually my problem too much time I probably have 5 hours a work day to put in to a project.
I also have the problem of not being creative my friends keeps saying make the game im working on smaller maybe 2d or cut some out so it can be achieved but im not creative enough to come up with an idea that will be worth my time doing that hasnt already been done in 2d. Thoughts of porting games/software comes to mind but im not sure of legalities and im a fan of open source but I have built my framework over the past several years and trying not to open it up thats a whole other discussion lol.
Members - Reputation: 386
Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:16 AM
Why not download an emulator or two and try out some old games for inspiration? Lots games on, say, Atari ST or ZX Spectrum are small scale and somewhat experimental, just due to the nature of the systems and immature state of the industry at the time they were made. Maybe try to remake something that grabs your attention, something a bit different or off the wall?
Find me on Twitter @BarrySkellern (I am awful on Twitter)
Moderators - Reputation: 11535
Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:06 AM
1. cannot find any projects within grasp that are compelling.
2. I love working on a game/engine but it will take forever with only me putting in time here and there.
3. Is anyone working on any projects that will be challenging but have a reasonable time frame while doing something worthwhile?
1. People have varying levels of skills and competency, so you are the best judge of what is within you grasp and what is not. The same is true for what is compelling, some people enjoy activities that others find distasteful. Only you are the best judge of that.
2. Working on an engine can be a very big project covering many disciplines. Resource and memory management, graphics programming, effects programming, animation programming, audio programming, network programming, input management and controller systems, physics tools, tools programming, and much more. It can take years even with teams of experienced professionals.
3. Check the classifieds section.
Members - Reputation: 509
Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:31 PM
I have been looking into some older games to recreate/re-imagine there are 2 that come to mind stunts and cyberdogs I dont think I could do stunts because I can see that getting way bigger than it should lol but cyberdogs I could do a html5 multiplayer version that would be pretty cool I think I may give it a go.
1. True I was kind of hoping for an open dicussion so me and others have a point of reference. Maybe I should create a website for just project ideas that maybe a worthwile project in it self!
2. Exactly why im trying to go a different route.
3. Great idea I didnt even realize this site had a classifieds section! I did check things like vworker and various things but nothing popped out. Thanks