Game doesnt work on other pc

Started by
5 comments, last by shadowomf 11 years, 3 months ago

I did my first allegro game and it doesnt work on other PCs except mine .

I compiled it in release version (VS 2012 express ) , then included the exe file and all the resources into a rar file..it works fine on my pc but on others it says "allegro-md.dll " missing cant start.

Do they have to install allegro for it to run ?

This is sad :|

Advertisement

The allegro-md.dll should be somewhere on your machine (c:/windows/system32 probably). When you find it, copy it into your distribution and then it won't be missing when people go to play your game

Your game is missing the Dll "allegro-md.dll" on the target machine.

Probably you won't need to install allegro on it, but rather have to provide the missing Dll in the same folder as your executable.

Just put it in the Rar together with the resources and you should be fine.

Note, however, that your users may still be required to install the VS2012 redistributable, which they may not have on their machine if they did not install VS2012.

If your game still spits out errors after providing the allegro-md.dll (probably complaining about "incorrect side-by-side configuration" or something similar) then you need to install the redistributable.

In any case, maybe creating a real setup for your game with one of the common tool kits (there are free ones as well) is the way for you to go...

I put the allegro md dll file in the rar file but still it shows the same error...what could it be ? im using allegro 5

And if VS redistributable isnt installed , is it enough if i provide the MSVC100.dll with the package?

I put the allegro md dll file in the rar file but still it shows the same error...what could it be ? im using allegro 5

Does that file extract into the same folder as the .exe? I can't imagine why it would have the same error if that .dll was available in the same folder as the .exe

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Most of the time the dll needs to be in the same directory as the executable or in the system32-folder (though I wouldn't recommend it). Make sure it's right beside you .exe.

And if VS redistributable isnt installed , is it enough if i provide the MSVC100.dll with the package?

As far as I know the licensing terms require you to use the installer provided by microsoft, so you should check that before you just copy the runtime library.

Actually I would recommend you to statically link to the runtime library, that way you don't have do add another .dll to your distribution. In VS2010 this is controlled by changing "C/C++\Code Generation\Runtime Library" in the project settings from "Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)" to "Multi-threaded (/MT)".

Note however this means the content of the msvc100.dll will be added to your .exe making it bigger. And if you want to use this way of not using the msvc redist installer you have to make sure each of your dlls is also using this setting and isn't expecting a new version of the runtime installed on the system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement