• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Languages for Image Files

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3167

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

I have a little project that I will be starting sometime soon.

Context:

The application will display image files (rasterized - not windows) of more common types and be able to "script" them so the user makes a selection of the next image by a computer screen displayed UI which gives information on the current image.  The choices would be at least two selections related to the current image being shown ( not necessarily past images or selections ), resulting in going to the image selected. (The next image selection will not be displayed with the current image but only a text choice selected.) Obviously the UI would remain displayed from image to image.

I want it to be OS cross-platform, specifically Windows, OS, and Linux but maybe others.  The application will be installed as a compiled, executed program.

Question:

Can you give me languages which would best handle image files (efficient image loading function) and UI functionality in an application for OS cross-platform?

If you give a short list of languages, then please order them in priority of what you prefer - one, two, three.

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 17 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Sponsor:

#2 Mercile55   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Just make it as a web app.

Other than that:

C++/python with ImageMagick + QT/GDK+ for UI?

#3 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1985

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm not real clear on your description but it sounds like you want to make a cross-platform GUI application that displays images on the screen in some user dependent way. So you need GUI and images. There are image libraries and GUI application frameworks for just about any language you care to name so pick what you like.

If I were doing this I'd use C++ with Qt. I believe Qt has image reading capabilties out of the box so I don't think you need to use ImageMagick or anything like that.

Edited by jwezorek, 21 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS