• Create Account

Error: Expression must be a modifiable lvalue

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stickmunkee   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I've looked around gamedev some and it seems like there's a really supportive community, so I decided to try getting support on this error I'm getting.

I'm learning C++ from a book; I'm just beginning in it, so this is a really simple program. The idea is: the user enters a number, which the computer guesses at. However, in the section where I'm modifying the ai's guessing logic, I'm getting an error I can't find a good way to get around. I included a picture of the code and error. When I hover my mouse over the variables "guess" in the arithmetic within the 'if' blocks, it says: "Error: Expression must be a modifiable lvalue"

I would really appreciate an explanation of what that means and maybe a suggestion to fix it.

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aiguesserror.PNG

Sponsor:

#2 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3938

2Likes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Quickfix:
Use a=4+b over 4+b=a.
You cannot assign the value a into 4+b.

If both a=4+b and 4+b=a are to be the same, then which value should be assigned to the other in the expression: a=b?
You can read more about l-values and r-values here.

Also:
You only need to call srand once in your program, please refer to this thread: Why is it bad to call srand multiple times?

Edited by fastcall22, 17 January 2013 - 03:54 PM.

WW91J3ZlIGdvdCBhIHNlY3JldCBib251cyBwb2ludCE=

#3 Stickmunkee   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thank you, this is very helpful

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS