• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

high dynamic range rendering

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrmohadnan   Members   -  Reputation: 279

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

hello , I am design game using XNA , I work on apply HDR rendering for my images , but the problem is I don't understand well the 

The LogLuv Encoding for Full Gamut  !! I take alot of math courses , but still bit confused ! so any prerequisite books for this title so that I can understand HDR for games !! 

I took digital image processing course :)

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30850

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

LogLuv encoding was popular many years ago, when support for floating-point textures on GPUs was rare and/or slow.

These days, it's better to not bother with fancy encodings like that, and instead just use a floating-point texture format, such as HalfVector4 (a.k.a. D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F).

#3 jeffkingdev   Members   -  Reputation: 777

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hodgman,

Do most video cards these days support the floating point textures? Do the onboard cards do this now too?

Thanks
Jeff.

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10229

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Do most video cards these days support the floating point textures? Do the onboard cards do this now too?

Even those god-awful Intel integrated chipsets have had floating point textures for a couple of generations now.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#5 CC Ricers   Members   -  Reputation: 638

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

As you're working with XNA, it's advisable to use the HdrBlendable surface format. It's a floating point format specifically made for HDR use, which uses 4 Half Vectors for GPUs on the PC. Just keep in mind its limitations, like not being able to use a linear texture filter for it.

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS