• Create Account

games for phones

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Im just about to pick a programming style but which one should I start with. I would like to easily port over mobile phones. Starting with Windows phone. Platform games on Xbox, ps3 and other big Systems dont appeal to me... yet. I would like to start with simple games such as pong or older games and work my way up. Im not looking for 3D programming until after I make my ideal 2d game. As for my next question are there software that I have to buy like "director" haha bet you never heard of that program in a while. PS I do have basic knowledge in programming in lingo and Java. Far from expert and has been years.

Sponsor:

#2 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Note in using windows 7 32bit.

#3 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2067

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Note in using windows 7 32bit.

I was going to write a lot about the difficulties of making games (or apps) on multiple phones, but since you mentioned that, you only have two options now:

1. Windows phones.
  2. Android.

You can't work on iPhones from a Windows machine.  Pick one of those two, and stick to that for at least a year before considering porting your game to another phone.  Mobile porting is a pain in the ass.

#4 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Ok so window 7 and WP 8. What would be the best language for support / tutorials

#5 Dan Mayor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1712

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

It's also worth noting that Windows 8 mobile devices DO NOT SUPPORT XNA.  If you want to target multiple mobile platforms you can use HTML5 and Javascript, using cordova you can easily port these from device to device with around a dozen of lines of code each machine and they will launch / run as native apps.  You do still need to own a Mac or at the least setup a VM and purchase OSX to build and deploy an iOS version.

Digivance Game Studios Founder:

Dan Mayor - Dan@Digivance.com
 www.Digivance.com

#6 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

The research is pointing to c++ / c# and Java. Maybe I'll stick with Java as I know the basic fundamentals of the language. Thanks for the help guys. More input is appreciated while I do my studies.

#7 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17925

2Likes

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

You could try NME.

You can't work on iPhones from a Windows machine

It's not officially supported, but there are a number of options that allow you to develop for iOS from a Windows machine.  You need a Mac for deploying but can access one through services such as MacInCloud.

#8 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Wealth of knowledge jbadams! I will sure to check out NME! As for MacInCloud I will look into that one too unless I buy a mac down the road but looks interesting. Got to love clouds "looks up at the sky".

#9 0Circle0   Members   -  Reputation: 342

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

I use GIMP for my 2d images. It is like Photoshop but free. Once you get into 3d look up Blender, it too is free.

I compile on Windows 7 64. Using Java 64. I don't use an IDE. I use Notepad++ and a self made bat file for compiling, signing, and compressing of java applets mainly cause I cannot figure out how to compile and figure out how to run my apps using Eclipse or NetBeans.

Edited by 0Circle0, 20 January 2013 - 12:28 AM.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

#10 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17925

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

[...]

Are you sure you replied to the correct topic?  Your post doesn't really address the question being discussed at all... huh.png

#11 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20119

2Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

In addition to NME which is based on Flash's ActionScript, you should look at cocos2d-x.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#12 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

coco2x it seems like another good solid program. Currently I'm using NetBeans refresh my skills.

I did HTML coding from back in 2001 and never really stayed with the times but HTML5 runs games? Or is this linked with java to create games. I look for tutorials and I see alot of java coding and the only real HTML I see are the basic headers to set up pages and very little code. If I can remember correct you could do this back in the day. Kinda a weird question but what is the major difference?

#13 stevo5800   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

coco2x it seems like another good solid program. Currently I'm using NetBeans refresh my skills.

I did HTML coding from back in 2001 and never really stayed with the times but HTML5 runs games? Or is this linked with java to create games. I look for tutorials and I see alot of java coding and the only real HTML I see are the basic headers to set up pages and very little code. If I can remember correct you could do this back in the day. Kinda a weird question but what is the major difference?

HTML5 + javascript build games. The HLTM5 sets up a canvas for display then your game runs in the canvas with javascript. 

Coco2x would be a great choice for cross platform since it work on iOS, Android and Windows Phones. 

Native language for the phones are 

-Android = Java 

-Windows Phone = C++ and C# note I'm pretty sure Windows is starting to push more towards Direct X and C++ on the new phones 

-iOS = Objective C(not if you really wanted a mac you don't need to buy a top of a line mac to make apps I use a base model that works great)

All the above support C++ as well 

Depending on what you want to do and what library you use sometimes you need to use some of the native language.

#14 sednihp   Members   -  Reputation: 241

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Note that develop for windows phone 8 (the newest version) you need at least windows 8 pro 64-bit. Which really restricts you to android and windows phone 7. Android is the biggest smartphone OS on the planet so I'd aim for that -it uses Java as well so you're good there too.

#15 HAM   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

I would echo any suggestions for starting with existing packages rather than trying to choose a language.

Unity, UDK, cocos, etc...

These are cross platform and fully featured.  They will take care of alot of details and you can probably get up and running pretty quick.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS