• Create Account

From 3ds Max Animation to D3D ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 289

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi guys,

Up to this point I've been bringing my models (meshes) into D3D9 from 3ds Max with an .obj file parser I wrote. I'd like to go to the next level and work with bone and keyframe animation.

I've looked at books and tutorials and they all use the .x file format with custom plugins for 3ds, but D3D10 and greater doesn't support .x files.

I also really don't like the idea that you need a 3rd party plugin to export .x files from 3ds in the first place.

Should I use one of the built-in file formats to export the bone/keyframe stuff so that I can parse it myself ?

What is the preferred method to use for this seemingly common task ?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 n3Xus   Members   -  Reputation: 700

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Check out the ASSIMP library. It will allow you to load formats such as .DAE (collada). But you will still need to build the animation and skeleton yourself in your code from the loaded data.

Edited by n3Xus, 19 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS